04-25-2009, 01:29 PM
is this on the news over there?

http://www.who.int/csr/don/2009_04_24/en/index.html

JWorthington
04-25-2009, 03:20 PM
I've just been reading this too, it doesn't sound too good:(

Shylent
04-25-2009, 09:46 PM
Yup, we are hearing about it over here , scary stuff. The upside ( if there is one) is that once it is identified it can be easily treated with antibiotics. :(

alizesmom
04-25-2009, 10:28 PM
Scary for me too. I remember the last outbreak of swine flu and the nasty side effects of the vaccine. Karen

Baby1107
04-26-2009, 01:41 PM
Just when RSV season is finally over, do I REALLY need something else that is going to keep us locked up @ home!?!!!? ARGH!! :( I certainly hope we can avoid it, but it sounds like it spreads pretty fast.

Nate's Ma
04-26-2009, 09:15 PM
I seem to remember an outbreak of this when I was in grade school. Does anyone recall the year?

Mom2TwinsPlus1
04-26-2009, 11:06 PM
I seem to remember an outbreak of this when I was in grade school. Does anyone recall the year?

Not sure how old you are, but I do know they had an outbreak in 1976, thats the year I was born and I heard that on the news earlier and it stuck in my head for that reason.

It doesnt bother me or scare me that much and I live in a huge pig farming state. Reason being is, sure it scary and can spread from person to person, but its also very easily treated from what I have read and the symptoms are much like a reg flu but add a stomach issue with that.

They say just clean your hands, avoid contact with others esepcially those who have been to mexico.

cbissell
04-27-2009, 06:50 AM
Yes, it's all over the news. My DH thinks he has it:rolleyes:

Trix
04-27-2009, 06:56 AM
Yep - Australia too. Big News item on tv tonight - airports on alert. I believe some people here on the east coast of Australia are being tested and results will be know tomorrow.

Just horrible.

saywhatyouwill
04-27-2009, 07:04 AM
i think it's in lanarkshire now (the county where we live), although i don't know if that's been confirmed.

i am uncharacteristically worried about it, i don't know why!!

norac433
04-27-2009, 07:20 AM
In 1976, President Ford was ridiculed for wanting Americans vacinated against Swine Flu. You can read about it here:

http://www.capitalcentury.com/1976.html

There is a school closed this week in my city because a little girl, who was in Mexico was diagnosed with swine flu this weekend.
________
How to vaporize weed homemade (http://vaporizer.org)

TommysMommy
04-27-2009, 12:16 PM

I was 5 years old. My parents had me, my two younger sisters and themselves vaccinated. We all got VERY, VERY sick from the vaccine. I've never been sicker in my life! The thought of it coming around again makes me want to stock up on hand sanitizer and masks.

KJKK8437
04-27-2009, 12:53 PM
Oddly enough, I don't remember the '76 flu. But, we were living in PA, and I read in the article above that PA suspended the vaccines early on. Maybe that is why. Maybe too it was because we lived near Three Mile Island (1979 partial core meltdown), and one childhood national scare is all my brain felt like recording. :rolleyes: I remember that one very, very well. I still have a little bit of trouble watching documentaries about the incident.

One thing I keep reminding myself throughout all these hospital stays (and now flu scares) -- the biggest thing I remember about TMI is how frightened every adult around me was. I was scared because they were scared.

My parents were generally pretty good about hiding things like that. I don't think I'm anywhere near as good as they were, although I think I have been tested a lot more than they were, too. But, this little nostalgia trip is a good reminder to me to try harder.

There I go again, flitting off into side streets. Yeesh. Sorry. :p

Nate's Ma
04-27-2009, 02:00 PM
I would have been 9 years old then. Hmmmm... The biggest thing is that young healthy people are dying from this in Mexico, but not other places. It seems more mild outside of Mexico. I know people are saying it's because of their health care system, but there isn't much you can do for this except take Tamiflu and treat the symptoms. It seems to be spreading quickly. Last night I heard 20 confirmed cases in the US, and today it's 40. Only 1 person has been hospitalized so far in the US.

saywhatyouwill
04-27-2009, 02:08 PM
One thing I keep reminding myself throughout all these hospital stays (and now flu scares) -- the biggest thing I remember about TMI is how frightened every adult around me was. I was scared because they were scared.

My parents were generally pretty good about hiding things like that.
There I go again, flitting off into side streets. Yeesh. Sorry. :p

i like the parts where people flit off to sidestreets although i suppose we aren't meant to :)

i remember when i was around 9 a big tornado hit edmonton in canada the same time we were supposed to be travelling down the road there. my brother had in fact fractured his ankle and had to go to the ER (where they charged my grandad a fortune up front!) so we didn't travel to edmonton that day. i remember being in a traffic jam and my mum saying "you can see the dust swirling in the distance". i don't know if they thought the tornado was actually coming towards us (calgary) but i was really scared because she seemed scared. she denied she had said it when i asked and claimed it was "look at that big car over there". yeah right: all the bloody cars were big!!

so then every night i would stare at the clouds and wonder if a tornado was forming above my head :)

the only other time i remember seeing my mum scared was when i was in labour with emily and i just KNEW there must be something wrong because she looked panicked and fearful and she's never that way around me.

that's a pretty long sidestreet, too.

bryantem
04-28-2009, 01:14 AM
This is one of the reasons I want Addisyn out of the hospital ASAP. I am in AZ, which is very close to Mexico and it is just a matter of time before we start having cases over here. From what the nurses said, it could take 5 days to be confirmed. First they have to test for the flu and if it comes up as type A, they then send it off to the CDC.
________
DODGE STRATUS (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Dodge_Stratus)

Wooders80
04-28-2009, 05:23 AM
Quite worried about it here too. Especially as we were in Glasgow this weekend - not too far from the first two confirmed cases in the UK.

I was thinking (hoping) it was maybe just being hyped a bit by the media too, but then the WHO increased pandemic risk to 4 out of 6 yesterday - that seems quite significant to me.

debvec
04-28-2009, 10:29 AM
ok, I am not one to usually freak but this is scaring me a bit, especially since Amanda just got her trach out. Also because I don't feel all that confident with the local hospital which supposedly is on epidemic alert, I think I would just jump in the car and drive to Cinci, which is the absolute wrong thing to do for other families but I don't feel my local hospital would offer appropriate care for my daughter...does that make me a bad person? The first case may be confirmed in CNY today...

saywhatyouwill
04-28-2009, 01:27 PM
is there any info on why it struck people so hard in mexico but seems much milder elsewhere? i heard a theory that the virus might have already mutated into a milder form.

and is it true that it was mostly the middleaged who were succumbing rather than the young and old?

is the panic because of the deaths in mexico???? in the UK they are saying that anyone diagnosed will get antivirals which wouldn't normally be the case with flu.

the confirmed cases in the UK are just down the road from us but i think the couple are fine.

KJKK8437
04-28-2009, 09:08 PM
is there any info on why it struck people so hard in mexico but seems much milder elsewhere? i heard a theory that the virus might have already mutated into a milder form.

and is it true that it was mostly the middleaged who were succumbing rather than the young and old?

is the panic because of the deaths in mexico???? in the UK they are saying that anyone diagnosed will get antivirals which wouldn't normally be the case with flu.

the confirmed cases in the UK are just down the road from us but i think the couple are fine.

My sis (in the medical profession) says that Mexican general health is very poor and hard to compare.

cbissell
04-29-2009, 03:44 AM

From CNN's Dr. Gupta (http://tinyurl.com/ddzdjv)

Q: Why is it more deadly in Mexico than anywhere else itís surfaced?

The short answer is investigators donít know. The deaths have occurred in healthy people, as opposed to those usually most at risk from the flu: the young, the old and those with compromised immune systems. The same thing happened in recent years with the SARS and avian flu outbreaks. The spreading virus starts a cascade within the body as the immune system overreacts. Fluid builds up in the lungs and inflammatory cells throughout the body react to the infection.

saywhatyouwill
04-29-2009, 04:53 AM
From CNN's Dr. Gupta (http://tinyurl.com/ddzdjv)

Q: Why is it more deadly in Mexico than anywhere else itís surfaced?

another suggestion i heard was that it was going around at the same time as some other virus or bacteria and they were more dangerous in combination.

Baby1107
04-29-2009, 03:51 PM
From what I understand, it took a long time for the Mexican authorities to "identify" the strain they were dealing with. Whereas we are on full alert having the benefit of knowing what we are looking for. Although the mutations make it difficult to control, we are in an easier position with precautions BEFORE it grows wild like it did there. So not so much to "knock" their system it just incubated longer as an unknown, whereas the CDC is better equipped to handle & identify it here.

Ainsley's Mom
05-01-2009, 12:10 AM
MY KIDS SCHOOL JUST CANCELLED SCHOOL FOR A WEEK! :hairpull: I don't know that they even have a confirmed case at this point. They are saying out of an abundance of caution. At least I'm a stay at home mom but I don't know what all these families are going to do. And my husband came down with the flu from work (hopefully just regular and not swine flu) and has been in bed since 6:00 but the fever went away on Advil. Ainsley sleeps in our room and I don't know what to do. I hate to have her breathing the same air.

Baby1107
05-01-2009, 01:09 AM
MY KIDS SCHOOL JUST CANCELLED SCHOOL FOR A WEEK! :hairpull: I don't know that they even have a confirmed case at this point. They are saying out of an abundance of caution. At least I'm a stay at home mom but I don't know what all these families are going to do. And my husband came down with the flu from work (hopefully just regular and not swine flu) and has been in bed since 6:00 but the fever went away on Advil. Ainsley sleeps in our room and I don't know what to do. I hate to have her breathing the same air.

Can you put dh somewhere else? That has got to be easier than moving Ainsley, right? Sorry the school closed. :confused:

angelbaby
05-01-2009, 02:05 AM
well being from the houston area, i am expecting to see a huge rise in cases in the next couple of weeks, in fact a elementary school in the same district as my sons, and about 5 miles from his school has just confirmed a case and closed the school for tomorrow. so i expect my kids schools to be closing in the next couple of weeks as well, i fear that many people are starting to panic and i know that our st had alot of cancelations today b/c people are getting worried about the swine flu, i really haven't been to concerned about it, but if it does start getting more widespread in houston, i will have to take precautious, such as rescheduling appts at tx childrens hosp, considering that is where kids with swine flu will more likely be admitted, no point in risking exposure for a regular follow up visit. the media has really got a lot of people "freaking out", and i guess as the confirmed cases keep growing and getting closer to home, i might be forced to "hunker" down with my kids, but i think the city will more than likely make everyone "hunker" down here shortly if cases keep appearing.....

mom to 5 yr old, CHargE syndrome, trach, gbutton/fundo

KJKK8437
05-01-2009, 02:32 AM
I've been thinking quite a bit about the whole "hunker down" issue and the potential for public panic. It makes me think about our kiddos and their supplies. If cities begin to shut down, I guess that includes postal and UPS/Fedex delivery to affected areas as well, right?

I certainly don't want to contribute to raising any unnecessary concerns, and I do not agree that we all need to enter into any kind of seige mentality. But, if you think your area might start closing businesses and telling people to stay at home, there might be some sense in making sure your monthly order is covered early.

I'm all about "don't panic" and don't buy all the toilet paper and bread from the supermarket shelves, so I'm very hesitant to write this at all. But at the same time, I'd sure hate to read on the Boards that one of our trach kiddos is struggling for lack of catheters or something.

Ainsley's Mom
05-01-2009, 12:52 PM
Can you put dh somewhere else? That has got to be easier than moving Ainsley, right? Sorry the school closed. :confused:

I decided I didn't want to even be in the room where he'd been so I took her and the pulse-ox and slept on the hide-a-bed in the basement. We survived without the warm mist for a night but she dried out a bit and I had to suction with saline. But I've got the windows open and am changing the sheets. Today he feels fine and left for work. They have a massive game deadline coming up and he has twice as much work than can be completed in that time. So he feels he has to go. 8 people at his office were sick, so whatever it is it's already gone around. If it is the swine flu it's pretty mild and seems far less severe than the regular flu.

Kate
05-01-2009, 01:10 PM
Susan-are you in Seattle? Haven't talked to Beckett yet (my brother who is in Kent) He is at Federal Way High School....are they still in school?

We just had our first case here in MN-it was in a school by St.Cloud (for those who know MN) about 3 hours from here. I'm not too worried-still plan on taking Mitchell to Mayo in a week-we'll just wash hands a lot and use gel and just pray nothing happens. Unless they come up with a lot more cases, I can't waste time being worried-that's my plan :)

Those who have a lot of it though-I certainly don't blame you from being worried and Karin you have a great point about supplies. I don't think it is over reacting at all to think ahead.

Ainsley's Mom
05-01-2009, 01:21 PM
Susan-are you in Seattle? Haven't talked to Beckett yet (my brother who is in Kent) He is at Federal Way High School....are they still in school?

We just had our first case here in MN-it was in a school by St.Cloud (for those who know MN) about 3 hours from here. I'm not too worried-still plan on taking Mitchell to Mayo in a week-we'll just wash hands a lot and use gel and just pray nothing happens. Unless they come up with a lot more cases, I can't waste time being worried-that's my plan :)

Those who have a lot of it though-I certainly don't blame you from being worried and Karin you have a great point about supplies. I don't think it is over reacting at all to think ahead.

I agree about the supplies. Personally I always keep a stash of emergency supplies for this reason because you just never know. I think they are still in the proccess of confirming IF any of these cases are swine flu and have sent samples to the CDC. Remember our school closed over the winter for the threat of snow so I think this is another case of, as they are putting it, abundant caution. Read no good reason. :rolleyes: I'm sure your brother is fine.

saywhatyouwill
05-13-2009, 03:12 PM
(deleted)