PDA

View Full Version : At what point do they go to the Dr?

bryantem
04-25-2009, 11:56 AM
It looks like Addisyn has a cold. She has a ton of secretions, they are pale yellow and thin, she is coughing and has a runny nose. Her sats have been fine and not requiring any oxygen, her color is good, her breathing is good and she is sitting her sucking her fingers and smiling at me. Normally, I wouldn't have taken my other kids to the Dr, but given her issues, I don't know if we are expected to. I do have her pulmonologist's cell phone number and can call him if we need to.
________
Vermont Marijuana Dispensaries (http://vermont.dispensaries.org/)

Ainsley's Mom
04-25-2009, 12:41 PM
We struggled with this issue for awhile before we figured it out. I would talk to her doctors now to see what their expectations are. I don't really know Addison's history well enough to say. I think it may depend on the child and their medical conditions. For us, I don't take Ainlsey in any more quickly than I did my other two. But we also have a nurse that listens to her lung sounds twice a week. That is always my concern, making sure the lungs are clear. You'll start to get a feeling for it with time. Hope she's feeling better soon.

saywhatyouwill
04-25-2009, 01:53 PM
it is a tricky one. we usually look for any sign of it going into her chest, otherwise we don't go to the doctors. you can just kind of "tell" whether they are handling it okay.

hope she's better soon.

Hope
04-25-2009, 02:16 PM
Shelby's colds, 100% (not even 99%, but 100%) of the time went to her chest and turned into brochitis and needed AB. I didn't know this at first and we ened up in the ER the first time -- she gets very very sick within hours (less than 36 hours) of showing symptoms. I *hated* colds. Not saying that will happen with you guys - just that's the extreme end of a kid with a trach. Hope she turns a corner and fights it off.

Hope

Ann
04-25-2009, 03:03 PM
Beth,
Jack is really juicy too right now - I think it's just the time of year and all the crap in the air. The key indicator for me is increased work of breathing along with the increased secretions. Go with your gut, you'll know when it's time.

drct1245
04-25-2009, 11:05 PM
It's all personal preference. I know my friend, who has 2 non-trach kids, takes her kids in each time they have colds. We opted to not take Ayden in most time as we didn't want anything worse, but Ayden has never (I am pounding on wood) gotten anything worse than a cold in the 2 yrs he has been home. However, when Ayden came home we had PICU nurses that were also our home health nurses. They all knew him well, so they saved us from going in b/c they could listen to his lungs.

If you are comfortable, the do what you feel is best.

lynn
04-25-2009, 11:36 PM
I would go with your mommy instincts....
I dont take Joseph in unless it sounds like it is into his chest. We have many runny nose/yellowish secreations days-- most of the time I chalk it up to allergy as long as he otherwise seems healthy and happy. If he isnt himself, tired, not playful, then I call the dr. (I try to avoid the dr office as much as possible cause everytime we go there for anything we usually pick up some type of bug)

Andrew's Mommy
04-26-2009, 09:02 PM
Yea i woud say to go with your mommy gut. For me I take him in when he's extra wheezy and if i have to increase his O2 more than a 1litter to keep his sats up then i know i have to take him in.

norac433
04-27-2009, 08:30 AM
With my bio children, I would go with my instincts and only call the doctor, or take them in as a last resort. I know people who go to the ER when their child is barely ill.

With my foster children, I am more incline to call the doctor earlier than I normally would. I figure I do not know these children as well as my bio children and there is that extra level of care when you are taking care of someone's child.

With baby Z.....she is the most medically fragile child we have ever cared for.
I asked the doctor's office when I should call, and they told me whenever I felt I needed to call....just call.

I love this pediatrician. When ever I call, I get a RN who will guide me over the phone about what I should do. The last time I called, it was 8 p.m. The nurse talked with me and told me what to do. They wanted me to call the office in the morning to see if she should bring her in.

This way, it is not in my hands. I hate feeling like I might be overreacting to any illness baby Z might have, but the last time she got sick (RSV in late March) she got sick very quickly and was in the hospital for two weeks.
________
SHIP SALE (http://ship-sale.com/)