PDA

View Full Version : generator and vent

againes304
04-24-2009, 08:40 PM
I was told before JJ could come home that we need a generator for a back up power source for JJ's vent and oxygen. Ky medicaid requires the home health agency to make sure that the generator is in place before a patient can come home on a vent. My question is how big of a generator would I need? If any of you have a generator for this reason please let me know! Or if you all know how many watts the LTV 950 runs on and the start up watts it takes. I have tried to find out and have had know luck from the medical equip. com. thanks

drct1245
04-24-2009, 08:49 PM
To know for sure, you would have to get the specs of the power requirements for the vent. I am sure the 1000w would be sufficient. We have used a 2000w to plug in our camper. Although you can't run a microwave or the air conditioner, we can have a fair amount of items on and plugged in.

Another difference between states - we came home on a vent, although it was suggested we have one, we opted not to b/c we are on a grid w/ the post office and underground wires, so we rarely have power outage. We are less than 5 minutes from a hospital and 5 from a fire station.

good luck!

lynn
04-24-2009, 10:08 PM
Dont know if this will help but here is link for instruction manual for LTV series ventilators-page 228 has power specs: http://www.nbngroup.com/manuals/machine/V-10664-TLTV950SeriesOperatorsManual.pdf

Mom2TwinsPlus1
04-25-2009, 11:19 AM
Not sure of an answer for you, but wow what a rule to have. I didn't know they could tell you that you had to have a generator. We weren't even suggested to get one. That is why we have a battery back up for her vent with 10-12 hours of juice and bottle oxygen. We have been through many a power outage without a generator and done just fine. Once when went a week without power, which of course we had to go to familys house to stay but that is ok.

We were told in an extended power outage to call or go the nearest fire station.

Generators can be very expensive do they help offset the cost in any way?

againes304
04-25-2009, 09:33 PM
Thank you all for your help that manual really helped! No we cannot get help with the generator! But we will make it! Home Health said that they cannot come unless a generator is at the house.

drct1245
04-25-2009, 09:47 PM
Will you get a spare battery or 2 w/ your vent? Will that be sufficient for the home health agency? At least those would be paid for. :)

Niff
04-25-2009, 11:46 PM
Is KY known for incliment weather that causes power outages? It seems kind of harsh to expect a parent to just throw money out for a generator. I would understand recommending it, but requiring it is a bit extreme.

Ann
04-26-2009, 12:09 AM
It seems kind of harsh to expect a parent to just throw money out for a generator. I would understand recommending it, but requiring it is a bit extreme.

I agree. I don't think your DME can require you to have a generator. Did you doctor write a script for one? Seems to me, they are putting the burden on you to have adequate power when it's their job to make sure you have enough battery back-up. We've never had a generator, but, then again ... Arizona isn't known for having weather issues/power outages.

Melisande
04-26-2009, 10:55 AM
From my experience, equipment companies are private companies and can therefore require whatever they wish, legally. I would imagine that it has to do with concerns about liability. Our equipment company did not require us to have a generator, but they did require battery back up, which they provided, adequately trained people to operate the ventilator, which they trained additionally to what the hospital trained, and they had to check out the safety of our home environment to hold the electrical load from all the equipment, which they did in person at our home. Now, keep in mind, I work professionally with this company and they know me, professionally, and they still did this to me as well. Oh, and they had me get on the list at the utility company with a letter from my doctor.

We have been out of electricity several times, the longest 2 years ago for over 2 weeks. I'm not sure if the weather is that bad in your location. We also have an inverter we have in our van. We can plug stuff into it in an emergency for several days, if necessary.

I would think that if they are requiring you to have a generator, they would at least have a suggestion about what type and size you would need. At a minimum, I would think they could help you figure that out. Like Ann said, they need to get you some battery backup too, at least 8 hours worth. If they aren't willing to work with you, you may want to consider a different equipment company.

TommysMommy
04-27-2009, 12:13 PM
Ky does have bad weather. Last fall, there were massive power outages from Ike, then this winter, there were massive outages from ice storms. We personally lost power for 10 days. KY is also prone to tornados and wind storms.

rea74
04-27-2009, 05:19 PM
Oh, and they had me get on the list at the utility company with a letter from my doctor.

That's what our neonatal doctor had us do before we checked out of the hospital. I had to go to the local utility services and fill out the forms and get them signed so that we were put on a list of city residents who had a special needs for medical equipment in a power outage.

We never really lost power, even during a few hurricanes that came through - maybe half an hour at most, but it was good knowing that we'd be getting power back ASAP if it happened. They even called us to let us know they were in the area working on things when it went down, and the estimated time it would be till it was back up again.

It's certainly something for you to check into. I've never heard of a company demanding you get a generator though! Oiy!

KJKK8437
04-27-2009, 06:00 PM
Is it medicaid that is requiring this, or your DME? If it is Ky Medicaid, that seems a bit odd. They'll pay for all the equipment, but you need to buy a generator?

We looked at generators -- both portable and wired-in. The wired in kind was sweet -- it kicked in automatically as soon as the power went out ad would have been routed through our electrical box. The utility company would have sold it to us ... if we could possibly have afforded it. I believe it was $7 grand for the cheapest one. Needless to say, we didn't do it. For us, given Alex's condition (no vent), the battery inverters were sufficient. If power was to be out for more than a night, we had a deal with a local hotel that we could go there and hook up with their generator. (We would have had to rent a room.) I was on my way out the door one night when the power finally came back on. Nice, huh?

If you buy any inverters as backup, be sure they can handle any heavy duty equipment. We learned the hard way that one of ours was too small for the humdifier. It burned out the inverter in seconds. :eek: (It was late, we were tired.)

Now, if we had lived a few counties south of here, that power company would have sold us a much smaller generator at a much cheaper cost. Just bad luck on our part. You might want to check with the power companies to see what they offer, and if they have an assistance program for you.

againes304
04-27-2009, 09:26 PM
Our Home Health agency said that medicaid required us to have a generator through the medicaid waiver program! I asked about programs to help with this and they said that they were not aware of any. We live about 15 min from hospital and 3 min from fire station but they said that we had to have the generator before JJ comes home! Actually they are doing a assesment of our home 2 weeks before discharge, so they said that the generator needed to be there at that time. I guess I am just a little stressed out over all this I am finally getting my wish for JJ to come home now it is just getting the money for the things that he needs. Since he has been born I have not been working, and surviving just on Dad's income we do make ends meet but not alot of extra cash for things like generators.

Ann
04-27-2009, 09:31 PM
I think I would confirm this requirement directly with Medicaid if you haven't already. Home health agencies are not known for always being truthful. There have been many instances where they tell parents that they are limited in their supplies (ie: trach ties) when in fact that is not the case. What you are getting from your home health agency is definitely not the norm.

Niff
04-27-2009, 09:32 PM
Our Home Health agency said that medicaid required us to have a generator through the medicaid waiver program! I asked about programs to help with this and they said that they were not aware of any. We live about 15 min from hospital and 3 min from fire station but they said that we had to have the generator before JJ comes home! Actually they are doing a assesment of our home 2 weeks before discharge, so they said that the generator needed to be there at that time. I guess I am just a little stressed out over all this I am finally getting my wish for JJ to come home now it is just getting the money for the things that he needs. Since he has been born I have not been working, and surviving just on Dad's income we do make ends meet but not alot of extra cash for things like generators.

Have you asked other home health agencies about this? Sometimes they can be misinformed. I'd definitely check with other agencies and get their input.

KJKK8437
04-28-2009, 06:23 PM

I think Ann has a good point. You need to find out if this is a medicaid requirement directly from medicaid. I hope your social worker at the hospital can help you with this, because I know you are super-wrapped up with getting your little one home and this is one more burden on you. Ann is right -- this is not the norm, and home health agencies can and do lie.