PDA

View Full Version : a few questions

ms taylor
04-24-2009, 06:57 PM
:confused: my daughter was placed with a trach and she was saying a few words so my question is will she still be able to talk and eat with the trach also how would i bathe her ???:confused:

bryantem
04-24-2009, 07:05 PM
She will be able to talk and hopefully you are already set up with a speech therapist to get going on Passey Muir (speaking) valve trials when her docs feel she is ready. I have found the ST's to be more knowledgable with the PMV than the docs.

As far as bathing her- bathe her like you always have. Just leave a few inches of water in the tub and make sure she wears an hme. Addisyn gets her baths in her baby tub most of the time. We are just very careful to keep the water away from the trach- also keep the suction machine close.
________
JAGUAR XK120 (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Jaguar_XK120)

JWorthington
04-25-2009, 11:51 AM
Breathing through a trach means that air does not pass over the vocal cords so speech can be difficult. However, lots of our kids learn to spea either with a pmv or a by putting a finger over the trach to force the expelled air upwards and over the cords.
For bathing, just make sure her trach is covered by a hme and keep the water pretty shallow.

Best of luck

Julie x

saywhatyouwill
04-25-2009, 01:54 PM
we don't have HMEs so we bathe her with a nude trach and sit her in a little seat - you can just about see it in my avatar.