PDA

View Full Version : Is it better to wait or not to?

bryantem
04-24-2009, 12:57 PM
Addisyn has been doing fin with oral feeds. She is on all oral feeds thickened in a bottle. She is now 6 1/2 months old; 4 months adjusted and is getting to the point of the dreaded solids. I am debating on whether or not it is better to wait or do we need to move forward. Can she develop an oral aversion if we wait too long? Would starting to early set her back? Right now, I am inclined to wait until she is 5-6 months adjusted, but I don't want inhibit her progress, if that makes sense. She is currently taking about 4 6 oz bottles a day, on occasion she will take 5.
________
Land Rover Defender Picture (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Land_Rover_Defender)

JWorthington
04-24-2009, 01:58 PM
There are lots of different opinions out there about when to start your child on solid food. Most say between 4-6 months and I must admit, my first 2 were hungry babies and we started them at 4 months. with Sam being so sick (and awaiting a bronch) we waited until he was 6 months old and had the results of the bronch. I don't see any harm in trying, she will let you know if she is not ready, and if her bottles are already thickened then she is probably used to the texture of first foods. I'd just try with a couple of teaspoons to start with and see how it goes. good luck:)

Julie xx

lynn
04-24-2009, 02:03 PM
I would try and take her que- she will let you know if she is ready. dont push the issue, and if she is not ready then revisit every couple of weeks. I think we waited too long with Joseph and it became a real battle cause he was already to the point of being able to tell me no and just loved the fight.

llwilliams8
04-24-2009, 05:42 PM
We started trying baby food when my daughter was 5 months old. She did not like the boxed cereal so we gave up. We waited for about another week or two and then went with the jar cereal. She loved it. We then decided to start veggies and she took to it right away. She's 7 months now and loves all the veggies and fruits--trying to decide if I should start meats or jsut wait a little while longer. We started just giving her food at night before bed then added the morning feeding and now she gets her formula 4 times a day and spoon feeds 3 times a day. We started at 5 months because I was afraid if we waited too long she wouldn't want it. We have had no problems. I would just try and if she doesn't like it then wait a week or two and try again.

drct1245
04-24-2009, 06:42 PM
If you have the all clear swallow wise, try it and see what happens... Many kids aren't always ready the first try (trach or not), however, that is one of my regrets w/ Ayden... I wish I would have consulted a feeding therapist to help me early on since Ayden was our first and I didn't know what I was doing. Getting kids to eat later on is EXTREMELY difficult. Mind you, if you can't b/c they aspirate, that is one thing, but if you have the all clear to try solids and you think she is ready, go for it. Just make it positive and fun... let her play w/ the food, etc. It might be a little extra work now, but I think it would save you a lot down the road.

Ayden took his whole bottle at 6 months adjusted (although he never needed the formula thickened), but we were told not to push the solids by the drs in the PICU. So we waited and tried, but didn't consult a feeding therapist and then he did develop and oral adversion to solids. No one really explained to me how difficult the road would be, if we didn't start the solids early in life. :)

The biggest thing w/ our kids is the aspriration... you may need another swallow study, or at minimum, if your speech therapist or OT isn't a feeding therapist, you may want to consult one.

good luck!!
Dawn

sarah78
04-25-2009, 01:42 PM
Hi,

Nadia was 6 months corrected and 9 months actual when I started her on solids. She wasn't ready before this and was only just taking 450ml milk a day so I was worried that by introducing solids her milk intake would drop. When I did start I took things really slowly. Baby rice only for a couple of weeks and then progressed to vegetables and fruit, increasing number of meals and amount.

It is still going slowly. She's not very good with textures and although we are on 3 meals a day she only takes a small amount at each meal so I have to stick oil in to her food to increase calories. Some days she won't eat anything and at the moment she seems to prefer manufactured purees to my lovely home made ones.

I have found weaning tough so I'd say unless you really feel she is ready don't feel under pressure to start now. As someone else said just offer her a couple of spoons of baby rice and see what she does.

Good luck x

Niff
04-25-2009, 06:41 PM
Do you have a speech therapist who might be able to help you decide?

I would give rice cereal a try and see what happens. Try different textures with it, too. Mackenzie can't tolerate thick cereal but she's mildly okay with it being runny-ish. Definitely don't push it and just take Addysin's cues.