PDA

View Full Version : Feeding

saywhatyouwill
04-24-2009, 12:40 PM
i'm sure everyone feels like they have discussed this until there was nothing else to say, but i would REALLY appreciate some suggestions.

from the end of last year emily's feeding really picked up, as did her weight gain. but the last 6 weeks or so have been a total pain: she outright refuses to eat a lot of the time, even if it's stuff we know she likes. there don't seem to be any issues re teething or oral thrush (a problem in the past).

she is not scared of food and will happily play with it and get messy. she helps us to make her food and ours and we let her choose within reason what she would like. we sit up at the table together every weekend and where we can in the week (but we're usually not all in at the same time). she always has her meals at a table even if noone else is eating. she'll finger feed but typically it's always veg = hardly any calories.

what do we do? her weight is down more than a pound yet again - now under 20lbs and she's 26.5 months.

i know that she picks up on our moods but i honestly think that i haven't been giving out any negative vibes lately.

PLEASE HELP!!! any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated.

bryantem
04-24-2009, 12:53 PM
I would offer her something to dip the veggies in, like ranch dressing or something with calories. Some other things to try is yogurt with fruit, carnation instant breakfast or pedialyte. Toddlers tend to like to dip things and it might add some calories to her diet.
________
LOAN PROTECTION INSURANCE FORUM (http://www.insurance-forums.org/loan-protection-insurance/)

KJKK8437
04-24-2009, 01:07 PM
I suppose if I just said, "She's 2" you'd smack me or something. (By the way, I think your siggy says she was born after she was trached? Maybe I need to put my glasses on. :D )

I wish I could help. I'm very concerned about Alex going through this now that we have been instructd to let Alex set his own pace. Until very recently, he was very obedient to eating what we told him to eat. But the drawback of this is that we still feed him ourselves. Its a bad precedent, and I don't recommend it, but with his dysphagia, we have not had as much flexibility as a child that can swallow table food.

One thing I noticed Alex starting as his leak got bigger, and now more so since he was decanned -- what he "likes" one day he "does not like" the next. There is no rhyme or reason. Yogurt drink is yummy on Monday and crap in a cup on Tuesday.

Is is possible that Em is doing this a little bit, in combination with the typical toddler's ability to resist food when they are busy? Our ST says it is not uncommon for a toddler to lose a little bit of weight when they find playing more interesting than eating. My Mom says, "hogwash" but then she said she never really looked, and no one was weighing her kids more than once every 6 months or so, so how would she have known? Maybe what you know she likes, she (temporarily) doesn't really like as much as you think right now?

I would go back and try some things that weren't so much favorites in the past, or reintroduce easier foods. For us, this would be applesauce (old favorite, easy for him), egg salad (once a favorite, now yucky, about time for it to be okay again), and frosting (hated it, now loves it). We also have found a recent appreciation for pepper that is new.

Anyway, my point is that with Alex, we have to keep guessing what he wants. And, easier foods are often things we have to fall back on. Sometimes he just doesn't want to work that hard, KWIM?

Good luck, and :hug: :hug: :hug:

lynn
04-24-2009, 01:58 PM
I also would tend to say she is being 2. (as long as you know there is no underlying medical condition with her eatting) I always gave my daughter(worlds pickiest eatter) dips made with cream cheese and sour cream. , also cheese cut in strips or cubes, she really liked the fun finger foods that she could pick up and play and eat herself. - still doesnt like silverware and constantly eats with her fingers(now 9) I was just told by Joseph's doc on Tues to try to add Tsp of canola oil to his foods for added calories- he is 21/2 and only 16lbs.

JWorthington
04-24-2009, 02:05 PM
Clare, I think the suggestion of something to dip the veggies in is a good idea. try some cream cheese (mascarpone is incredibly fattening). avocados have lots of good fat in them maybe she would try dipping them into something. also I was talking about this with a friend of mine this morning who has found that if she leaves something her son will not normally eat by him on the back seat of the car when she is driving she'll catch sight of him in the rearview mirror polishing things off that he would never normally eat, like chocolate hob-nobs!

Karin - Clare's siggy date is correct, in the uk we write the date day, month, year while I know you guys do month, day, year. It's just another of those across-the-ponderisms!:p
Julie x

saywhatyouwill
04-24-2009, 03:12 PM
I suppose if I just said, "She's 2" you'd smack me or something. (By the way, I think your siggy says she was born after she was trached? Maybe I need to put my glasses on. :D )

that's the trouble i suppose: that some of this IS down to her age. last night that was definitely why she didn't eat. it's like a battle of wills with a mini version of myself - my god i'm annoying!!!

as julie says, 12/2/07 in british speak means 12 feb 07 :-)

the dips idea is good: she likes ketchup but i'm thinking something higher cal like mayonaise. wondering though whether that would be sufficient. one good thing is that she's consistently eating her puddings (chocolate type ones) which are easy cals. she's also great with breakfast: fromage frais, brioche, or cereal. some positives then.

karin and lynn - are you little uns 100% oral with feeding? i know i should know that already - sorry :(

lynn
04-24-2009, 04:14 PM
Yes Joseph is 100% oral, no tubes were ever placed.

suzanne2545
04-24-2009, 04:55 PM
Our "typical" four year old eats like a bird. He's also anaphylactic to milk, egg, banana and soy. So his diet is limited. We add fat and oil to absolutely everything. If she like ketchup, mix in some good oil that is flavorless (we use canola). Mix it into her pudding, her applesauce, her whatever. For Griffin, I even pour it over his fruit. Not so much fresh, but if eats canned mandarin oranges they have oil slathered on them. If she will eat a smoothy, adding avocado is good. We make peanut butter, rice milk, flax seed smoothies here.

One thing that has helped me is to look at their diet on a weekly basis. Over the course of the day they might not eat very balanced but over a week they usually do.

Of course, I'd be very concerned and frustrated too that she is losing weight. Griffin has lost weight but in teh last year he has gone from 75th percentile to 10th percentile in weight.

I can also resonate with the battling a mini me. I agree, I'm annoying and strong willed too. I sort of understand why my mom says it took her four years to get up enough nerve to even think about getting pregnant again after me and I had three strong willed nutcases in four years. Just remember, it will serve her well someday. Actually, it probably already has!

Ainsley's Mom
04-24-2009, 05:08 PM
I do know that the more you push (plead, beg, demand etc) the more resistant a child will be. Especially if your child is strong willed. There is good reason for this mostly having to do with that kids are smart and they figure if you are begging and pleading for them to eat something it probably doesn't taste good. And two year olds are notorious for wanting to be in control.

I think the best you can do is offer high cal healthy foods. Let her choose what to eat. Probably don't invest a lot of energy preparing foods or you'll just be frustrated. Many kids will be more eager to eat food with lots of butter and dieticians generally agree that's okay for kids that are underweight. High fat yogurt, full fat cheese, full fat icecream, veggies with butter etc. If you are interested in reading I think this is a great book: http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Feeding-Healthy-Family-Orchestrating/dp/0967118921/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240607199&sr=8-1 I will say that it is still hard to put some of her principals into action. I often find myself pushing even though I believe in what she teaches.

mylesmom
04-24-2009, 06:45 PM
I am where you are in some ways. Myles is 21 months and is still mostly eating purees and drinks fortified formula for the calories. He has huge issues with anything requiring a lot of chewing........he can't eat meat. We've finally got him on toast (a bit) and some pasta.....it's been one HUGE slow process...........he is also allergic to wheat and eggs so his diet is limited as well. He gets frustrated because he wants what we have and much of the time can't. His weight is lower as well...............

Tough isn't it? If it's not one thing then it's another.

I am not sure I offered you much help but we know what you're going through!

saywhatyouwill
04-25-2009, 01:59 PM
the "good" news (if you know what i mean) is that emily has an ear infection - in fact too extremely red ears. and conjuctivitis. i wish she would complain more so we could notice she has these things. i knew she had a cold but we were too busy looking at her chest and breathing.

thank god there is an actual reason.
susan - will have a look at the book - thanks :-)

and thanks for all the replies.

KJKK8437
04-25-2009, 03:23 PM
Karin - Clare's siggy date is correct, in the uk we write the date day, month, year while I know you guys do month, day, year. It's just another of those across-the-ponderisms!:p
Julie x

Oh, duh. I knew that. I just didn't think about it. Yeesh. Now I feel pretty stupid. :rolleyes:

KJKK8437
04-25-2009, 03:24 PM
karin and lynn - are you little uns 100% oral with feeding? i know i should know that already - sorry :(

Um, that's actually our little secret. He is now, as of last week. I've been keeping that one close to the vest. Like Myles, we are mostly on purees. Table food is an issue, but we are progressing. Alex has a weak jaw still from the distraction, but it is getting stronger, so chewing causes rapid fatigue. Swallowing "chunks" is still a concern too, as Alex still has mild dysphagia. His swallow reflex is not always consistently triggered by table foods, so he chews and chews without going further. But, again, this is showing slow but steady improvement.

Purees and baby food have not been a problem for us since November. He has been 100% oral for foods since November. Liquids have been a challenge -- but again, improving. With the assistance of a nuby sippy cup and a honey bear straw teaching cup, we are now consuming enough liquids to move forward, per the GI doc.

sarah78
04-26-2009, 02:38 PM
Hi,

Just read your post and wanted to say hope Em gets well soon. It's sooooo stressful when they won't eat. Nadia's latest trick is to blow rasberies through her milk rather than drinking it and I have to try sooo hard not to get cross or laugh and encourage her more!

I will just say that it was reassuring to see that my sister in law has the same problems with my niece trying to get her to eat and she is a healthy 18month year old. Some days she barely has a yoghurt!

x

saywhatyouwill
04-26-2009, 02:45 PM
Um, that's actually our little secret. He is now, as of last week. I've been keeping that one close to the vest.

brilliant. i knew alex had a gtube previously but wasn't sure if he still did.

I can also resonate with the battling a mini me. I agree, I'm annoying and strong willed too. I sort of understand why my mom says it took her four years to get up enough nerve to even think about getting pregnant again after me and I had three strong willed nutcases in four years.

:-D

I will just say that it was reassuring to see that my sister in law has the same problems with my niece trying to get her to eat and she is a healthy 18month year old. Some days she barely has a yoghurt!

x

that's the trouble sometimes - differentiating between what any kid would do and what she does in the continuing progression along learning to eat properly. it gets to me most when i know that it's been quite a few days in a row with poor eating.