PDA

View Full Version : Hearing her

bryantem
04-24-2009, 12:36 AM
So tonight, I decided to give Addisyn a bath. She doesn't get them as often as the other kids did because I hate having to change the trach ties and deal with her crying. Tonight, she was pretty irritated that I put her in the water and started her usual crying. She was pitching a fit that I heard her cry. She also needed to be suctioned a bit. For those kids that learned to speak around the trach, how did it start?
________
PREGNANCY FORUMS (http://www.health-forums.org/pregnancy/)

saywhatyouwill
04-24-2009, 04:38 AM
when she was around 8 months old she giggled when we were suctioning and the sound came out really clearly. it was amazing!! then when she was around 10 months old she started to put her chin down to vocalise a tiny bit. we decided not to show her how to do this as it seemed that covering your airway was only something you should do if you were in control of it yourself! i know that sounds daft for a 10 month old but i think it's true.

on xmas day 2008 she started to speak a lot. what a great pressie! at that time it was by putting her chin over the tube.

these days she can vocalise around the trach as there is a big leak. if she wants to say a long sentence, though, or speak loudly, she'll still put her chin down.

not sure if i should say this, but when she was younger - around 5-6 months - when there were noises coming from the tube it normally meant there was something wrong with the tube and it needed to be changed - i'm not sure what exactly but her sats would dip whenever there were noises coming out.

lynn
04-24-2009, 10:42 AM
Joseph started out as squeeks- usually when he was mad- diaper changes and baths really set him off! After he realized that he was making the sound- he started making a high pitched scream throughout the day- to get attention. He was probably around 9-12mos when he started with lower grunts and learned to "push" air out for sound.

KJKK8437
04-24-2009, 11:31 AM
Alex started when he was sick -- with cries. The greater resistance from the sticker secretions provided extra support for his breaths. Not to long after that he began to do it when well. Then they upsized and it all went away. :(

bryantem
04-24-2009, 11:59 AM
Alex started when he was sick -- with cries. The greater resistance from the sticker secretions provided extra support for his breaths. Not to long after that he began to do it when well. Then they upsized and it all went away. :(

We were upsized and then we were downsized. I am hoping to prevent being upsized again unless she needs it. She is doing so well pulm-wise and with her PMV that I feel another upsize will set her back.
________
PSR-225 (http://www.yamaha-tech.com/wiki/Yamaha_PSR-225)

drct1245
04-24-2009, 05:46 PM
Ayden started w/ "aaahhh" around the trach when he hit the vent pushing in the air just at the right time... it was more of a squeek though. That was at about 8 mo adjusted. Then eventually it was a true "aaaahhh" all the time and finally, off the vent, he was making a few vowel sounds at about 18 mo of age. It wasn't until got downsized and the PMV that he started to say the consenents.