PDA

View Full Version : First infection...how often to change the trach?

kirafaesmom
04-23-2009, 07:37 PM
Ok...we have gram positive Cocci and pseudomonis; we normally change her trach every two weeks, but I'm thinking it needs to be more often than that to help get rid of these nasties....how often is "recommended" when fighting an active infection?

bryantem
04-23-2009, 08:42 PM
Is it an aspriate culture or a stoma culture? Addisyn has a Staph infection around her Stoma, but is otherwise OK. We are changing trachs weekly.
________
Marijuana strain index (http://strainindex.com)

kirafaesmom
04-23-2009, 08:50 PM
It's an aspirate culture.

bryantem
04-23-2009, 09:39 PM
Someone will probably have better advice than I do, but I would just go with the secretions. If you see that she has a ton of secretions change it more often- that is what I was told anyway. We do our trach changes weekly.
________
SMOKE WEED EVERY DAY (http://smokeweedeveryday.org/)

Gretchen(Celia's mom)
04-23-2009, 10:10 PM
Well no one ever told me how to go about this but this is what I do. I cange it after 24 hours on AB's then again after the course of AB's. I don't know if that helps but I feel better about it.

kirafaesmom
04-23-2009, 10:19 PM
I like that advice.....She starts her second antibiotic tonight (Cipro) so will change tomorrow.

Niff
04-23-2009, 10:42 PM
No one's ever told us about changing a trach after an infection either. Interesting concept. We change trachs weekly, regardless of infection. This seems to work well for us, although Mackenzie catches infections pretty easily.

elijah'smom
04-23-2009, 11:01 PM
We can change Elijah's every 2 days if needed. Normally we change it once a week.

lynn
04-24-2009, 12:05 AM
Celias advice sounds right- I know that is what we are told to do with our toothbrushes (for my girls) whenever they get a bacterial infect and start on AB-- I think I will keep it in mind also.

JWorthington
04-24-2009, 04:41 AM
We have always done weekly trach changes. It was recommended by our hospital that once a course of antibiotics are finished all trach tubes that have been used should be disposed of, I can't remember why that is now though:o

TommysDad
04-24-2009, 11:57 AM
Cincinnati told us to change vent & trache tubes upon the start of antibiotics. Then change everything again once we are done.

Tommy's pseudo likes to keep coming back. He's been on anitibiotics so much our pulm thinks we are treating a colonized bacteria instead of a systemic infection. He told us to try changing trache tube several times a week to see if this help the situation. We've been doing this for a few months now, and Tommy still has not been put on antibioitics. Some days we wonder if he just has a virus, if his tube is getting crusty & nasty from being off the vent more & more, or if the pseudo is starting to become more than colonized and we are just delaying the inevitable. Guess only time will tell.

Pseudo can be really hard to get rid of sometimes. Sometimes it just likes to linger on and do no harm, other times no so. So just watch out after antibiotics are done, change the tube as often as you think it will help (I'd at least do one at start and one at end of antibiotics), and hope it goes away never to rear it's ugly green head again:D . GO AWAY BIG GREEN MONSTER!

~Maggie

KJKK8437
04-24-2009, 12:29 PM
Celias advice sounds right- I know that is what we are told to do with our toothbrushes (for my girls) whenever they get a bacterial infect and start on AB-- I think I will keep it in mind also.

REALLY? I've never heard of that. Very, very interesting.

No one ever told us what to do, but I tended to do what TommysDad suggested -- change it at the start of the ABs and then again when things are over. If it was a really bad illness, I'd change in between, too, as soon as the inside of the trach looked "stained" from the heavy secretions.

One thing to add -- we never re-used a trach that had been in Alex when he was sick. I figured I could never clean it well enough. I'm pretty sure the hospitals can't either. They cleaned one of Alex's when we were in the hosp. for pneumonia. It still came back looking yellow on the inside. (Plus, they didn't remove the swivel on our Bivona, and there was all sorts of gunk baked on underneath it.) We very gingerly took it by the corner of the packaging and deposited in the nearest bin. :p

cherienz
04-25-2009, 07:32 AM
We have always been advised to change the trache weekly - but have not always followed procedure!!

for us if mitch had an infection we were less likely to change trache, just coz of stress and desatting, but he is oxygen dependent.
Regards Cherie