PDA

View Full Version : Lithium Ion battery lifetime

lynn
04-22-2009, 12:43 PM
:confused: I was wondering what the average lifetime is on the LTV litium ion batteries.
How long have you had yours? and how often are they used? I am debating on buying another set, and dont know if they are really worth the money. I've already gone thru the set of two in a years time, and my insurance doesnt cover them, so I just dont know if I should try to suck it up and continue with the big car size battery or get a new set. (DH is totally against another set, but then he doesn't need to take Joseph out daily by himself ;) )
I've been also trying to push my pulmo to get us the new puritan bennett vent w/11hr internal battery.. and dont know if this is the better route to take, although it will probably be a much longer wait time. :think:

Jacob's Mom
04-22-2009, 06:07 PM
We have had ours for close to a year and see no signs of them giving out anytime soon. However, we don't use ours daily. Jacob's wheelchair has a spot for the big battery, so that is what he uses for school. Did you run them down completely before charging or did you keep them maximally charged? Just curious because we had suction machine after suction machine before we started letting the battery run completely down before charging. Now we've had the same one for over 2 years.

If/when our batteries do die I would definitely be for purchasing a new set. They are definitely convenient when we do need to use them. I can't imagine not having them if Jacob wasn't in a wheelchair.

Alethia
04-22-2009, 06:38 PM
Angus' lasted 6 months with daily, rundown use. When he's at nursery he's on them all the time as having trailing electrical cables aren't allowed at nursery for the sake of the health and safety of the other children. He now has 2 new "Sprint packs" which are two smaller lithium batteries in a special holder, each lasting 2.5 hours, so 5 in total. Although the pack is a bit heavier than the single lithium battery before, it's worth it for the 2 hours extra run time. These get charged through the vent transformer too so no "extra" chargers required. We really like them.

You can see a pic of the Sprint pack attached to the LTV 1150 vent on page 2 of this brochure:

LTV 1150 + SPrint pack (http://www.viasyshealthcare.com/prod_serv/downloads/021_LTV_1150_Brochure.pdf)

Alex's mom
04-23-2009, 05:42 PM
We have a lithium battery that is almost 2 years old. Our dme told us that the life of the battery is shortened the more often it is used, and the more often the power is completely drained.

Because at the time we only had one, we tried to be really careful to plug the vent into the car or into a plug whenever possible. Now we have two. Alex has started school and the wheelchair is not equipped with a tray for the big battery. So we use the older lithium battery everyday for school and charge it each nite. It lasts us about 3 and a half hours if we use it until it dies. We keep the newer one fully charged and in the go bag that goes to school with her as a backup.

lynn
04-23-2009, 06:12 PM
Kate, where did you purchase your sprint pack? I have been doing internet searches and cant find anywhere- Are they not avail in US?

kadiera
04-25-2009, 01:05 PM
some friends said that we would get the best life out of lithium ion batteries if we didn't go below 40% charge.

Alethia
04-26-2009, 04:41 AM
When we got the usual type of lithium batteries we were told by the Bioengineering dept to let them run down completely before charging them as they would last longer. Now we've got the sprint pack, they've advised us to charge them as soon as we can. I don't know which is better to be honest. Maybe we need to experiment!

Lynn I PM'd you with what I know, but being in the UK it may be that things are different for us.