PDA

View Full Version : Good news...it's a massive pneumonia! (no, I have NOT lost it...)

kirafaesmom
04-21-2009, 08:32 PM
Ok....yes, you read that right.....I see the horrid right lower lobe pneumonia as a positive. After 3 weeks of hauling Kira in each week because of my concern about her atonimic system decline, she finally declared herself in a VERY big way this morning. Desatted to the 70's and it took 10 litres of O2 direct flow to get her up to low 90's. Nothing to suction, so did a trach change. THAT got things moving...she coughed up at least 5 tblsp. of NASTY secretions. I didn't realize that secretions could go from clear/white to an obvious infection so quickly! Literally overnight. So, I got her "stable" and drove her to the ER (Hubby drove, I rode shotgun). Sure enough, no doubts about the xrays. They had already sent the admit orders up to the floor when the attending doc on the peds team saw that it was Kira; She called back down to the ER and had the doc offer us the option of admit, or antibiotic shots and home on oral antibiotics since she knew how we were equiped at home, and the fact that we've done this "a few" times. Guess which one we chose! So, we are home and praying she goes the right way. They did take a culture, so will be able to change the antibiotic if needed. The bad thing is that we will not be making the long awaited for sleep clinic appt.....sure hope it doesn't take another month to get in again! So, although I wish she wasn't so sick, I am glad that there is a treatable reason for her system to have been so out of whack.

Gretchen(Celia's mom)
04-21-2009, 08:38 PM
Yeah,,lol although in a weird way,,I am glad too that there is a reason behaind the recent touble that can be treated!!!

KJKK8437
04-21-2009, 08:56 PM
You know, this reminds me of a post last summer when I was thanking heavens that the disease that hospitalized Alex was viral pneumonia -- a typical, normal, run of the mill virus. No aspirate, no pseudo, WHEW!!

Yep. You aren't crazy. You are a trach mom.

bryantem
04-21-2009, 09:28 PM
I am glad you have it finally figured out. Addisyn had to be admitted with her pneumonia because her lungs are so fragile.
________
Nevada dispensaries (http://nevada.dispensaries.org/)

lynn
04-21-2009, 10:01 PM
Great to hear you finally know why she hasn't been herself,and hoping the AB kick it out of her system soon.

Hope
04-21-2009, 11:56 PM
Aswers that lead to treatment plans are a good thing! Hope she's better soon!
Hope

Baby1107
04-22-2009, 12:36 AM
Sounds very very familiar. Glad they offered you the option of going home, we always choose that too!

My little figther
04-22-2009, 07:50 AM
Pneumonia yes I have sees this, done that in a weird way I am glad you figured out what was going on with Kira. I hope she will recover soon and be herself again. Big hugs from my family to yours.... boy I sound like Paula Dean and I am not a cooking chef or from the South. LOL
Michelle

JWorthington
04-22-2009, 08:35 AM
I'm glad you got an answer. well, I'm sorry it's pneumonia, that sucks, but better than the possible alternatives I think. Hope Kira is better soon:hug: glad you got to take her home.

Julie x

alizesmom
04-22-2009, 08:56 AM
Yep, that can be good news in our world. Sending a prayer that you can handle things at home and Kira gets well quickly, also that this solves the autonomic issues and finally that you get back into sleep clinic quickly. :hug: Karen

Niff
04-23-2009, 12:24 PM
I'm glad it's treatable and she's doing better. Kudos to you for feeling confident in handling her treatment at home. I wouldn't feel nearly as comfortable. :hug: I hope Kira feels better!