PDA

View Full Version : Thickening Food

bryantem
04-21-2009, 06:08 PM
For those that thicken their child's food, what do you use? We are using simply thick but were told by the PA at the GI Dr to use rice cereal if insurance won't cover it. Simply thick is about $50 for a case.
________
CRIME INSURANCE FORUMS (http://www.insurance-forums.org/crime-insurance/)

mylesmom
04-21-2009, 08:22 PM
We have used Thicken Up (by Resource/Nestle) to thicken formula. It is cheaper than Simply Thick. We used Simply Thick for several months to thicken breast milk but switched to Thicken Up last winter when our son had a spell of aspirating............I quite liked how it worked.

suzanne2545
04-21-2009, 08:27 PM
We've used both rice cereal and simply thick. The only issue with rice cereal is that you can't really premix a batch as it really congeals. So you have to add the cereal as needed but it was a very cost effective way to do it. There also can be issue with it and weight gain - as in too filling and not enough nutrition. So it is a balance. I'd make sure a dietician is in on the decision as well.

lynn
04-21-2009, 09:08 PM
We used rice cereal- I made premade bottles with the powder formula and the rice cereal, and when we needed one I just had to add water.- If it isnt used up within about 45mins though it starts to get "slimy" and thins itself out.

kirafaesmom
04-21-2009, 11:04 PM
We used Simply thick WAY back when Kira was oral. The main ingredient in it is xanthan gum. I purchased some from a health food store and came up with my own ratio; it worked REALLY well for us.....and although the xanthan gum seems expensive, an itty, bitty amount of powder goes a very long way. It's been YEARS since I used it, but for some reason 1/4 teaspoon to 4 ounces seems to stick out in my mind.....(this would have been honey thick). I used the pre-packaged Simply Thick as my "control" as I came up with how much to use.

scm
04-22-2009, 06:30 AM
we use Thick It. You can get it over the counter at the pharmacy and we've been happy with it.

My little figther
04-22-2009, 06:53 AM
Long time ago when Cedric was oral.... it seems ages now we were using simply thick but I am sure that rice cereal will do the trick as well.
Michelle

KJKK8437
04-22-2009, 08:00 AM
we use Thick It. You can get it over the counter at the pharmacy and we've been happy with it.

We used simply thick with Alex, for the brief time we were trying it, but my niece just had rice cereal. She got pretty fat on it for awhile, though, like Suzanne mentioned. We never tried Thick It, but the hospital ST had this caution for me that I will pass along. If you are used to Simply Thick, you may find that Thick It does not provide as even or smooth a texture as you are used to. So if for some reason your kid is very sensitive to texture, this might present some challenges. Come to think of it, that would be the same with cereal, too.

Are you buying Simply Thick in stores or over the internet?

bryantem
04-22-2009, 09:49 AM
The last 2 cases of Simply Thick were bought from a foodservice company. I used to work for US Foodservice and we still know people there and can get it at cost. It is still pretty expensive and it stops her up anyway. Rice cereal will too, but at least that is a food and something she will be getting in the next few months. I don't know if she is sensitive to texture since the only things she has ever eaten is formula and breastmilk. We won't try solids for another couple of months.
________
Colorado Dispensary (http://colorado.dispensaries.org/)

BennyJam
04-22-2009, 12:10 PM
My daughter was discharged from the hospital with Simply Thick (nectar consistency), so we continued to use this for some time. But it is so expensive! I did buy some on eBay and saved at least a little money.

We eventually switched her to Hydra-Aid. It was much cheaper and more convenient because it came in a big jug with a pump top. As far as I could tell, it is exactly the same as Simply Thick (same ingredients, same appearance). You can buy it online at www.med-diet.com in the Dysphagia section.

Haley

bryantem
04-22-2009, 03:04 PM
It looks like we are going to use baby oatmeal and see how that goes. I bought some with a probiotic to help with digestion and her constipation/gas.
________
Cheap Vaporizers (http://vaporizers.net/vaporizers)