PDA

View Full Version : hole in pmv?

Big Al
04-21-2009, 06:47 AM
I have heard this done a few times on this forum. What does it accomplish and how do you do it? Also does anyone have any tricks to capping ok of my guys is getting to that stage and some days are good others not so much.

TommysMommy
04-21-2009, 07:00 AM
An ENT drills a very tiny hole or two in the side of the pmv to relieve back pressure. It makes it easier for some kids to tolerate.

JWorthington
04-21-2009, 07:53 AM
My hubby modified Sam's pmv, he just used a hand drill. we had been struggling for years to get him to tolerate it. He took to the one with holes in straight away and within a couple of months was tolerating an unmodified one all day long and now we are on the way to capping!

Julie x

bryantem
04-21-2009, 09:45 AM
I drilled a small hole into the side of Addisyn's PMV. Like mentioned, it helps with the pressure because a lot of little ones don't have the diaphram strength to push the air up around the trach and through the nose.
________
Honey Oil (http://trichomes.org/hashish/honey-oil)

Ainsley's Mom
04-21-2009, 07:23 PM
The way the PMV works is that the rubbery valve opens during inhalation and closes when the inhalation stops. Then the air must be exhaled through the mouth. The hole in the PMV basically allows some of the air to escape via the trach and some is still pushed past the vocal cords. The more holes in the PMV the more air can be exhaled via the trach.

If you try to drill your own holes with a drill (using the smallest drill bit) at home just use a vice grip if you can so the PMV doesn't slip.

Baby1107
04-21-2009, 11:58 PM
Our ENT won't consider drilling. We need to revisit this issue in June @ our next visit. Austin MUCH prefers to just plug the trach with his finger and not the PMV.