PDA

View Full Version : update once again

mind2reality
04-20-2009, 08:47 PM
Hi all. Sorry I haven't posted for a few weeks. Our PC crashed and so I had to wait a while to get online again. Well,I had an appointment on March 31st to discuss the surgery and all that. My surgery is schedule for May 13th. We are doing pre-op on the 12th, so in order to keep from burning gas, we are staying overnight in a hotel after the pre-op. He said I have two options when it comes to surgery, depending on how things look. He said the first option was going in, slicing my trachea, widening it, cutting out part of the cartridge out of my ear and putting it in the trachea to keep it widened. Then put in a trach until it heals, I guess. I'm not really understanding all the medical slang. He then said two weeks later, they would go back in, and take the stent out. Then two weeks after that, remove the trach.

The second option is to do a sleeve resection. He said if there was enough of my trachea that wasnt scarred or damaged, he could do that, because he said he doesnt want to create a tense situation, especially if I have so much damaged/scarred tissue, then he would have nothing to work with if it got worse afterwards. But that option wouldn't require a trach (which I love), but he said not to get my hopes up, because it is a small possibility.

So, give me all the advice and support you can, I need it! LOL. Sooo scared.

lynn
04-20-2009, 09:43 PM
I am wishing you the best of luck, praying that everything goes well and you heal quickly and without pain. Keep us updated. :)

KJKK8437
04-21-2009, 08:30 AM
My son had an ear graft. I know this is small potatoes compared to your worries, but you can't tell from his ear that anything was taken, and it never seemed to hurt him in the slightest.

We're thinking about you. :hug:

JWorthington
04-21-2009, 08:45 AM
Hope it all goes well for you and you don't need to be retrached. will be thinking of you:hug:

Julie xx

mind2reality
04-26-2009, 04:45 PM
Thanks so much for your encouraging words and thoughts. I really appreciate it. Does anyone on this board know Dr. Woods in Ohio? I think he practices with Dr. Cotton.

Niff
04-26-2009, 05:31 PM
I have no input other than to offer a big :hug:!

alizesmom
04-27-2009, 11:15 AM
Praying that the surgery works for you. Karen