PDA

View Full Version : Should we stay or should we go????


LKN
04-20-2009, 07:54 AM
Nathan's single stage LTP was cancelled in March because he had a fever and was sick with a cold--ended up with pneumonia. We drove all the way out to Cinci for a day--a long drive.

We are rescheduled for tomorrow. He has been working on allergies since Friday. He is coughing and has more secretions--from nose and trach. Everything is clear and only slightly tinged when he wakes up--this is normal for him. He coughs for about 5 minutes when he wakes then he is fine with some occasional coughs throughout the day. His sats are normal and he is sleeping through the night--oxy is about 97-100% and heartrate is in the low 80s. He wakes up happy and has been playing and full of energy. He is going through hmes about every 10 minutes in the morning. I've got terrible allergies as well and I feel okay--just sniffy and congested. I took him to the allergist on Friday and she listened to him and said he sounded clear--nasal passages were "great"." If it's allergies it could be gone by tomorrow or the next day...

Should we go out there and let them decide if they want to do the surgery? He will get some decadron in the OR so that should clear it all up if it is allergies. Or, should we cancel and save ourselves the disappointment...again???!!??

My husband wants to go, but I was so disappointed after the last cancellation, I don't know what to do. I guess I just need some reassurance and lots of hyber hugs and some honest opinions!! Thanks!

alizesmom
04-20-2009, 08:02 AM
Only you can make the decision but I would take the chance and go. Hugs. Karen

KJKK8437
04-20-2009, 09:32 AM
I agree with Karen completely. Only you can decide, but I'd go if it were us. I've put Alex under in similar conditions with no issues. I once let them put him under when he seemed fine, and he came out very, very sick. I just decided I couldn't control it and made the assessment on the basis of whether I honestly thought he was sick -- not whether I thought he *might* be sick -- KWIM?

You can't be sure. That stinks. But, even if he were perfectly fine, you couldn't be sure. :hug: :hug: :hug:

As for disappointment. Sure if you drive all that way and you can't go on, you'll be disappointed and angry. But if you stay home and he's fine, would you feel disappointed and angry then, too? I would.

Let us know what you decide.

debvec
04-20-2009, 09:37 AM
I say go, if it is only allergies and he is feeling fine with no fever they will do the surgery. If it takes a turn for the worse then I would rethink but as of now I would be packing up the car. Good luck!!!!

JWorthington
04-20-2009, 12:40 PM
I agree, if he is happy and his usual self I would risk going. Obviously if he starts going downhill then you will need to rethink. Good luck!:hug: :hug:

Julie x

kirafaesmom
04-20-2009, 01:19 PM
I too say go. Prayers headed your way.....and lots of hugs!

JacobKaden
04-20-2009, 01:21 PM
I would totally go too. Jacob had "low grade fevers" in the 3 weeks prior and they still did him, as he had no other symptoms. Good luck!:hug:

suzanne2545
04-20-2009, 02:20 PM
Kristy,

If it were me, I'd call and touch base with them about their thoughts. Honestly, I'd probably go and be prepared for another disappointment. It would be a bigger disappointment to not go and have him be fine!

Good luck.

Suzanne

Ainsley's Mom
04-20-2009, 11:54 PM
My only hesitation is the coughing. I would hate for him to undergo the surgery if he's coughing, KWIM? Seems like it could just be a problem for things to heal properly. I'm hoping it's not bad and he can still go. I can imagine how hard it would be if you had to reschedule again. :hug:

Nate's Ma
04-21-2009, 08:12 AM
Defintely call them and talk about your concerns. They will guide you and share the criteria for surgery and anesthesia. You as a Mom have that instinct. You know when it's right. Good luck!!