PDA

View Full Version : Causes of Yellow Secretions?

Niff
04-19-2009, 01:18 PM
What are some potential causes of yellow secretions? My initial thought is some sort of infection.

Mackenzie is on our home heating element, and one of the RTs from our DME came by yesterday and turned the heat down a little because of the amount of condensation that was building up in the tubing. We were literally draining water out of the vent circuit every 1-2 hours. If not, the vent would alarm high peep.

I was wondering if the yellow secretions could also be because of the change in humidity? She hasn't shown any other symptoms of infection.

JWorthington
04-19-2009, 01:52 PM
Yellow secretions do not always signify infection, but they can be an indicator. sam had a huge cough first thing this morning which produced yellow secretions, but since then nothing. If Mac seems well and doesn't have a fever I would just watch for a day or two and see if anything develops. It may just be a period of adjustment. Hope it doesn't turn into anything worse.:hug:

Julie x

bryantem
04-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Addisyn gets them on occasion and it is nothing. Secretions seem to turn yellow at night when she hasn't been suctioned for a while.
________
Vaporizer reviews (http://vaporizer.org/)

lynn
04-19-2009, 02:23 PM
We find yellow is caused by the amt of humidity- when off humidifier for a long time the white secreations turns darker. We have been wrapping Josephs tubing in bath towels secured by velcro ties from the hardware dept--- the water builds up from the temp inside tubes being hotter than the room temp. In the winter when ours is really bad, I also put a water trap in the hanging loop from the crib- it is a pain to do because you have to rethread the heating element back thru-and make sure it is really taped up so there is no leak - but if not, Joseph "drowns" himself everytime he rolls over. ( they do make the circuit with the water trap- but I can not get apria to order them for me. ) I did also have a humidifier mr950 that used the dual heated circuits and it really helped alot, but my prevent maint was just due on it and they didnt have that model in stock anymore so Im now back to single heated circuits as of last week :( )

kirafaesmom
04-19-2009, 04:40 PM
Kira's secretions turn yellow if she's been on her HME too long (or if the bag of water runs dry). As soon as we get her "wet enough" she's back to clear/white secretions.

llwilliams8
04-19-2009, 07:00 PM
Autumn usually has some yellow secretions in the morning but then if fine the rest of the day. We also have to empty the water trap every 1-2 hours (that will be the only reason we have to get up in the middle of the night with her). We keep her temp range between 26-32 degrees Celsius. It usually stays about 28-30.

Kaylie
04-19-2009, 07:04 PM
What are some potential causes of yellow secretions? My initial thought is some sort of infection.

Mackenzie is on our home heating element, and one of the RTs from our DME came by yesterday and turned the heat down a little because of the amount of condensation that was building up in the tubing. We were literally draining water out of the vent circuit every 1-2 hours. If not, the vent would alarm high peep.

I was wondering if the yellow secretions could also be because of the change in humidity? She hasn't shown any other symptoms of infection.

Hi,
i have to tend to agree to some extent about the different humidity, only because when we came home from the nicu, we had the samething happen to us with the home machine, and quite honestly in became a mess, the machine was not working properly and the dme had every excuse under the sun but of course nothing of it was due to faulty equipment, i wont go into the many things they said why unless you need me too.
the yellow secretions could also be just a morning thing which many children have and as the day progresses they go away, or too it could be sign of something is brewing, which we of course hope not. i would keep watching and keep checking for other signs and smyptoms as well. how is the rooming in going besides the humidity?

drct1245
04-19-2009, 07:09 PM
How is she doing this evening??? Did your pulm give you any traps so you could collect your own culture and drop it off at a local lab? Our pulm would give us them so that we wouldn't have to make a trip in. They showed us how to do it the first time in the office, but we did it after that.

We were told that the trap should only fill 1x in 24 hrs - but most of the circuits don't have traps, so that doesn't help much. :)

Hope it's nothing...

Alex's mom
04-19-2009, 07:22 PM
I hope that you can get circuits with water traps when you get home - I can't imagine not having them. Alex likes her humidity to be really high, if not we get sticky, hard to suction, sometimes yellow secretions.

Niff
04-19-2009, 08:57 PM
We haven't seen our pulm but I'll ask during our first visit about the culture traps.

The RT supervisor at our DME said she'd look online for a circuit with a trap. I, personally, feel her circuit is too big anyway so hopefully they'll figure it out.

drct1245
04-19-2009, 11:32 PM
We haven't seen our pulm but I'll ask during our first visit about the culture traps.

The RT supervisor at our DME said she'd look online for a circuit with a trap. I, personally, feel her circuit is too big anyway so hopefully they'll figure it out.

I know of a family that had to piece a circuit together to get a water trap... I don't know if others do that on the board or not. I believe the puritan bennett is the one of the few who have a peds circuit w/ a water trap. (?)

If your RT can't get her hands on one, let me know, I have a few still collecting dust since there aren't many people that use a PB home vent.

saywhatyouwill
04-20-2009, 10:54 AM

i would say it can be cos of humidity (lack of). emily coughs up yellowy secretions almost every morning. or i also wondered if it's just drier secretions being stuck in the tube/trachea for a longer time.

yellow doesn't always mean infection.