PDA

View Full Version : Seasoned LTP parents--a question

LKN
04-19-2009, 12:37 PM
Okay, so we are having our third LTP this week.:eek: We are traveling to Cincinnati...again...for the procedure. We have to take our small car so it doesn't hold as much stuff. We are thinking of not bringing the humidifier and just letting Nathan sleep with the hme the night before surgery. He wears his hme all day and for most naps. He does always sleep with the mist collar.

Here's my question: Are we bad parents even considering not bringing the humidifier/mist collar set-up? Will one night of hme sleep make that much of a difference the night before surgery???

Thanks!!

Also, for those of you following Nathan's surgery hell this spring, aka, the bumpy road to decannulation, he has the sniffles again!!! We think it's just allergies--no fever and running around the house as usual. He's just coughing and burning through a lot of hmes...never a dull moment for this kid!! If this procedure gets cancelled I will check myself into the closest insane asylum:p

haynjaymom
04-19-2009, 01:23 PM
Jaden sleeps with the cool mist collar at night at home, but we don't take it with us on the trips to Cincinnati. We use an HME overnight before the surgery. He does fine and it would be such a pain to bring that big humidifier along. I worried about it too, but I think for just one night it is fine. If he ever sounds dry in the middle of the night I just put a couple of drops of saline down and that seems to do the trick.

Good luck with the surgery and we will keep Nathan in our thoughts and prayers that all goes well!:D

debvec
04-19-2009, 01:41 PM
Kristy,

I am sure he will do fine with the hme, and as Katie said you could drop a few drops of saline down if he sounds dry. Good luck!!!! We will be thinking of Nathan!

Kaylie
04-19-2009, 03:29 PM
I am sure that he would be ok for one night with a hme, wanted to wish you all the best of luck and hope this puts Nathan closer than ever to decan. you guys will in our thoughts..

suzanne2545
04-19-2009, 06:08 PM
We've never taken the humidifier for an overnight only. That said, there were occasional nights at home where he didn't use it. We do take his nebulizer if we got into a pinch and we took extra saline nebs to squirt down to loosen things up if we needed to. I don't think it is being a bad parent at all.

JacobKaden
04-19-2009, 07:33 PM
I don't think one night will be an issue at all. I have to confess, after much deliberation we left the humidifier at home when we went on vacation. Jacob slept with his HME and our nanny slept in the same room with him, so I wasn't too worried. Dryness wasn't an issue at all. We didn't even need any more saline than normal.

Melisande
04-19-2009, 08:28 PM
:hug: :hug: Thinking of you guys!

kirafaesmom
04-19-2009, 08:58 PM
I had the same debate with myself for trips to the doctor (Kira doesn't do well off of mist at all).....so as a compromise I brought the nebulizer just in case she started sounding too dry. It works better for her than drops of saline. We have an inverter in the van and a battery for back up. We've only needed to use a saline neb once and it's MUCH easier to haul than the mist set up!