PDA

View Full Version : Isabelles Stoma Surgery may not go ahead!!!

Trix
04-17-2009, 08:51 PM
We had a call on Thursday morning confirming a bed in ICU for her and then in the afternoon the ICU doctor called to say that instead of 2 beds being booked, some twit has booked 3 so some kid may have to miss out on surgery and that will possibly be Isabelle! How hard can it be to only book 2 beds!!

We have still been told to checkin on Monday morning and they will decide if it will go ahead. They are going to ask her surgeon if it is necessary for an ICU bed. If he requested it in the first place wouldnt it mean its important. If she has surgery and goes to a ward, what if something goes wrong - there is no doctor on the ward and nurses at a 5:1 ratio.

Has anyone just gone to a ward after stoma closurer?
Has anything ever gone wrong??
How much blood goes to their lungs? I know there will be a drain but she has dodgy chronic lung disease?

I am a bit scared about not going to ICU.

HELP.

drct1245
04-17-2009, 10:01 PM
My understanding is the drain is only there so that they don't blow their tracheal stitch. (maybe I misunderstood the Dr) We always go to the PICU... but Ayden is on O2 too.

I hope there is a bed available!!!

Dawn

JWorthington
04-18-2009, 09:52 AM
Sam only went to ICU just after he got his trach, because he was on the vent. He has always been on a regular ward since then. I hope the surgery can go ahead!

Julie

Mom_to_an_angel
04-18-2009, 11:25 AM
When Jordan had her stoma closed which was a month ago. She was on a regular floor. She had no issues till we got home. Jordan is a wiggle worm n opened her site, but it wasnt all that bad. She is doing awesome now.

Topher's Mom
04-18-2009, 05:36 PM
When Christopher had his stoma closed, we couldn't get a bed in the ICU. He was sent to the floor & we had no issues. He was still on a monitor & Daddy stayed with him all night.

Karol

lynn
04-18-2009, 10:59 PM
Hope you can get a bed! It is so frustrating when someone messes up!