PDA

View Full Version : Question for parents using ready made formula...

Niff
04-17-2009, 08:36 AM
What did you do about feedings when you are out and about?

I'm assuming that once you open the can of formula, it needs to be refrigerated. But one can will last Mackenzie a day, so I don't want to waste it by bringing a huge can with me to appointments (2hrs away) and then having to toss it because I can't refrigerate it.

I was thinking of refrigerating the amount I needed in bottles before hand and putting it in a cooler bag with ice or a cold pack. Then I can pull out a bottle, warm it under warm tap water (or get a portable bottle warmer - do they make these?), and then pour it into her feeding bag and run it over the pump. It sounds awkward but I think it will work.

Anyone have a suggestion of an easier way to do it?

KJKK8437
04-17-2009, 09:02 AM
What did you do about feedings when you are out and about?

I'm assuming that once you open the can of formula, it needs to be refrigerated. But one can will last Mackenzie a day, so I don't want to waste it by bringing a huge can with me to appointments (2hrs away) and then having to toss it because I can't refrigerate it.

I was thinking of refrigerating the amount I needed in bottles before hand and putting it in a cooler bag with ice or a cold pack. Then I can pull out a bottle, warm it under warm tap water (or get a portable bottle warmer - do they make these?), and then pour it into her feeding bag and run it over the pump. It sounds awkward but I think it will work.

Anyone have a suggestion of an easier way to do it?

That's what I did when I was using a formula mixture that didn't come in powder. And yes, they do make portable bottle warmers. They don't work fast at all, so you really need to think ahead. If you are on a demand feeding schedule ... it may not help much.

Is a powdered formulation an option for you? There are "formula dispensers" that we used a lot. This is similar to the one we used. http://www.amazon.com/Sassy-Powdered-Formula-Dispenser-Multiple/dp/B000067PIZ

Alex's mom
04-17-2009, 09:03 AM
I used to premeasure formula in baby bottles and take the bottles with me in an insulated bag with an ice pack. I would run them under hot water to warm them up. I always carry some unopened cans of food with us as a just in case.

They do make portable bottle warmers that you can plug right into your car.

saywhatyouwill
04-17-2009, 09:05 AM
we did what you suggest. sometimes i would take the carton unopened so that i could pour what i needed into the bottle and not have to warm it up. then i'd try to put the rest into a cool bag with an icepack.

it wasn't took much hassle to heat the bottles though because we would generally make sure we stopped somewhere and even shopping centres have bottle warmers for you to use these days.

we always used ready made simply for convenience and emily drank such small amounts it wasn't too bad. we got it in 200ml cartons so not too much waste - don't know if that's an open for you.

llwilliams8
04-17-2009, 09:12 AM
When we got home we went from already made formula to the powder since I knew we would have the problem of needing to travel with the formula. I like the powder because I already have the bottles with water in them, just add the powder, shake, and it's ready. We don't have to wait for milk to warm up. We bought a bottle warmer thing that plugs into our car but it took forever to warm up so we decided it would be so much easier to just use the powder. The downfall to powder is when you are not at an even number of ounces and you have to give 1/2 scoops or something but we just have made Autumn's feedings at an even number to avoid this as long as she could handle the amount. :)

bryantem
04-17-2009, 09:17 AM
Addisyn is primarily on expressed breastmilk, but I always keep a case of 8 oz ready to use similac in my car. We have had times where her milk leaked or we were out longer than expected. I will normally throw out whatever we don't use. Unfortunately, all they usually have is soy and regular similac. It is hard to get single serve enfamil or anything else for that matter.
________
Montana marijuana dispensary (http://montana.dispensaries.org/)

scm
04-17-2009, 09:37 AM
I did exactly what you are planning to do. Pack the pre-filled bottles in a cooler. Then, I would pack a thermos (the kind with the wide mouth like for soup) with boiling water, and that would be my bottle warmer.

I never found a travel warmer that was great, and Max liked his bottles not warm, but hot! :)

Mom2TwinsPlus1
04-17-2009, 11:00 AM
Our supply company told us at room temp. our opened formula will last 8 hours. Anything past that must be on ice. So we just leave dump it in the feeding bag and take with. On warm days I do put ice around it just to keep it from going bad faster.

when they brought me our new pump about a year ago I had to sign a piece of paper saying I would not leave formula in it, uncooled for more than 8 hours. they said its a new policy to have people sign that so they cant say "I didnt know" It was printed by the company that makes our milk so I assume they didnt just make up a time frame on their own

ericnrosesmom
04-17-2009, 04:44 PM
We put it in an insulated bag and add ice in spring and summer. We don't really need a portable warmer. At home I microwave the formula before putting it in the bags, but on the go I don't really worry about it. Eric dosen't seem to mind one way or the other.

llwilliams8
04-17-2009, 05:29 PM
We put it in an insulated bag and add ice in spring and summer. We don't really need a portable warmer. At home I microwave the formula before putting it in the bags, but on the go I don't really worry about it. Eric dosen't seem to mind one way or the other.

I've always been told by my doctors not to microwave formula/breastmilk because it kills all the nutrients in it.

Kaylie
04-17-2009, 06:39 PM
we tried a bottle warmer and like some others said, they do take a long time to heat up.. as far as the food, is the insurance covering it?/ the reason i ask is because the cans would be smaller and then you would not have to waste, (worse case senerio)also there are other agencies to get formula..medicaid, wic? also your plan sounds like a good one, that is exactly what we did...

Ainsley's Mom
04-17-2009, 07:46 PM
We usually take the can and a baby bottle with a lid. We leave the can at room temperature (so we don't have to heat it) until we're ready to use it and then pour the rest in a bottle with a secure lid and refrigerate it when we get home or bring ice packs if we'll be gone a really long time.

drct1245
04-17-2009, 09:06 PM
Yeah, I think your idea would work, if you are going to be gone all day. We have Ayden's food hanging over night for 6 hrs, so really it should be OK. They do have portable bottle warmers, but all you need is some hot water to run it under. I give it to the hubby who has it warm in a matter of 10 minutes. If he isn't there I will try to get it to room temp myself. If you aren't going to be gone, putting it in the fridge and then taking it out, should get it warm about the time you need it. (?) Depending up on the time of the year.
I wouldn't spend your $$ on a bottle warmer when you only really need it room temp to put it through the pump.

KJKK8437
04-17-2009, 10:05 PM
Good questions implied by some of the responses. Niff, are you orally feeding, or pumping? If pump, Lori and Dawn are definitely right. If oral, the "good" time for the forumula may change. It has a shelf life in the bottle after opened, but according to most labels, that shelf life is one hour after the bottle touches the child's mouth and is exposed to her bacteria. I've never actually believed that ... but that is what most of them say. (Actually, I think they say on the bottle to discard 24 hours after opening, but discard bottles after one hour. They mean bottles after the child begins nursing.)

Tate's Mom
04-18-2009, 04:00 PM
When travelling we prepack the bag with 8 hours and suck all the extra air out. We pack separate extensions filled with distilled water to make it even easier and clean everything when we get home. If I'm going to be out longer, I will actually pack two bags and keep one in a cooler.

Apria told us a bag can "hang" for 8 hours.

MOMOFFAITH
04-19-2009, 06:38 AM
We use the same bag for a 24 hr period-- in the morning first thing I pour in 2 cans of Nutren Jr -total amount 500ccs and use it all day at room temp.

If we go to appt, etc then I put a cold pak in the feeding bag behind the formula bag- and I never warm the formula before running it. We only warmed -never microwaved- the formula enriched breastmilk in the beginning when Kadyn was an infant.

She seems to do just fine at home room temp- or on the go when it is cooler.

kadiera
04-21-2009, 08:42 AM
I used to premeasure formula in baby bottles and take the bottles with me in an insulated bag with an ice pack. I would run them under hot water to warm them up. I always carry some unopened cans of food with us as a just in case.

They do make portable bottle warmers that you can plug right into your car.

Pretty much that. We use powdered formula mostly, but we make up a day's worth of bottles every night, and do so even when we're using ready-to-feed (saves thinking time later).

When we're out, we use one of those playtex freezer coolers - basically, it's a 2-bottle sized bag that you put in the freezer, and then take out and put your bottles in. Last summer when I was still pumping, we tested, and they lasted 10 hours in the car while we were out, so they work pretty well. We put bottles for the day (plus Alexander's pulmozyme if we'll be out that long, since it has to be refridgerated), and throw that in our diaper bag.

We've not had any problems getting restaurants to give us a cup of hot water, or even a cup to take to the bathroom for hot water, to warm bottles with.

rea74
04-21-2009, 05:32 PM
I think like others said - it all depends on your formula?

With Mikayla, she was on Similac Neosure until her doc moved her to Pediasure.

I know with the Similac, you can get a lot of their formulas in 8oz bottles, either online or at different stores. When she was in the hospital once, the PICU ended up giving us a whole case of the 8oz bottles. We'd only used a few out of the case, but they said take them all.

We used those on trips, since we could use what was needed in her bolus feedings, and not have to worry about warming or keeping something open cool. :)

But when we didn't have them? We would mix up into bottles, and keep them in a small cooler with an ice pack. I found one of the little lunch bag totes that we used. We kept a gallon of distilled water in the car as well, to rinse things out as needed - keep the formula from getting dried or the like in the tubing.