PDA

View Full Version : Trach bag is gone =(

slgtweety
04-16-2009, 09:39 AM
I just realized this morning that we have lost our trach bag. We went to the grocery store on Tuesday and it must have been left in the buggy. I am SOOOO frustrated right now. Lexi just got a new size trach a couple of weeks ago so it had the new obturator not to mention one of the two new tubes (we only had 2 until order time). Of course all of the regular supplies plus some things that I got from the hospital a long time ago that come in handy. Now I've got to round everything back up, not to mention buy a new bag. I am just so MAD at myself! We go out alot and I am so used to checking that I have everything that I can't believe I left it Anyway, just needed to rant before I start making my list to make the new bag. ARGGGH.

TommysMommy
04-16-2009, 10:19 AM
Maybe you can place a lost and found ad. It's a long shot, but if somebody knows it is supplies for a medically fragile child, they will send it back. Hopefully everything will still be unopened and you won't have as much to replace.

suzanne2545
04-16-2009, 10:37 AM
Did you check with the grocery? We left our suction machine/bag in a cart once and they had it at customer service.

You only do it once and you don't do it again. I also locked it in the car once at the mall and had to get a tow truck to unlock the car.

TommysDad
04-16-2009, 11:11 AM
We can relate, too! Last year we went to the pumpkin patch. We took a hay ride out to the field. Set the bag down to go pick out and carry our pumpkins. When we came back, it was gone!:eek: We were frantic! We asked some of the workers, and they indeed had turned it into their lost and found area. They were kind enough to bring it back out to the field for us:whew: Let's hope yours will show up somewhere, somehow!!! But this does make me realize, I don't think we have a 'belongings' sticker with contact information inside our bag so if it does get lost, someone can call US!!! What a concept?!? I'm going to go do that right now!!!

~Maggie

JWorthington
04-16-2009, 01:11 PM
I hope someone hands it in at the store. we attached one of sam's old hospital bracelets to the handle of ours (we've got so many of them!)

Julie

KJKK8437
04-16-2009, 04:33 PM
I lost an ambu bag that way. Suzanne is right -- you only do it once. Its hard enough to explain to the random mall workers what the stuff is/looks like that you count your bags every time after that.

What size trachs are you using now? I do have some spares still, so if they are the right size, I'll send them over. We only used Bivonas here.

bryantem
04-16-2009, 05:14 PM
I might have an extra to spare too- I keep all of Addisyn's stuff in the same bag- a bright orange Phoenix Suns backpack. It has extra suction catheters, a spare (used and cleaned) trach, some pedi-ducks trach ties (we use neotech) and her diapers and stuff. I have too much to carry to add an extra bag to the mix. I also put her hospital label on her pulse-ox. We didn't get a lot of bands, but we were given a ton of labels.
________
Toyota fchv (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_FCHV)

KJKK8437
04-16-2009, 05:17 PM
I might have an extra to spare too- I keep all of Addisyn's stuff in the same bag- a bright orange Phoenix Suns backpack. It has extra suction catheters, a spare (used and cleaned) trach, some pedi-ducks trach ties (we use neotech) and her diapers and stuff. I have too much to carry to add an extra bag to the mix. I also put her hospital label on her pulse-ox. We didn't get a lot of bands, but we were given a ton of labels.

Beth reminds me of a change we made in our go bag. I removed the spare trachs from the bag (gasp!) and put them in the pockets of the portable suction machine instead. For the spare, I used a cleaned/sterlized one, and for the next size smaller I just put in the box. After awhile, I had a lot of cleaned trachs in all of our bags, but this really saved us some room. Plus, I figured it was less likely I'd lose the suction bag....

lynn
04-16-2009, 06:31 PM
Yes, we lost our big battery once at home depot- had it in bottom rack of cart, unplugged the vent and put baby and vent in car and drove away. Realized it about 5hours later: called the store but they had no idea what I was describing, so made another trip and it was in the lost &found (thank goodness) I like the label idea- I'm gonna put one on the battery, diaper bag, and suction bag(we keep all trach/med supplies in pockets of it)- my DH always has the fear of putting it down and having someone think it is a camcorder or something and walking off with it- maybe if I add a luggage tag to the handle, if it ever does disappear we might get it back.

If you make a list of what you are missing- I also have lots of extra trach supplies/ tubes ect.. Did you call the store and see if someone turned it in?

Ainsley's Mom
04-16-2009, 08:24 PM
Call around before you go to all the trouble. It's hard to imagine that not being turned in. Who would want to take a bunch of medical stuff? Even if there were valuables I bet the bag and the med stuff is in the lost and found somewhere. If not the grocery store then any other places you were that day?

kadiera
04-16-2009, 09:42 PM
We labeled almost everything with Alexander's name, at a minimum. But for now, our "trach bag" is a clear plastic tub that fits in one end of the "diaper bag" - a duffel bag with *everything* in it, because I can't manage more than one bag plus the vent & O2 & battery.

But I think a better job of labels might be in order....

slgtweety
04-16-2009, 10:52 PM
Thanks everybody for the thoughts and offers. I feel really bad ranting about this with everything else that's going on on the boards, but it just really ticked me off. I know I left it in the buggy at Kroger since I suctioned Lexi in the produce section (ha) and then we went home after getting the groceries. Unfortunately, no one has turned it in as of yet - I don't think they will. This particular Kroger isn't on the best corner in Memphis but I'm used to going there and it doesn't make me uncomfortable. As for supplies, I went ahead and made a list this afternoon of everything I keep in the bag so I could make another one and see what I needed. Obviously some things aren't used as often as others but I have used everything in the bag at least once - even the manual suction (our RT called it a lookie (sp?) tube) when we had a 911 emergency. Lexi just moved into a 3.0 Pediatric Flextend Bivona. We had 3 - one in her neck, one for the bag, and one for home. We had to do a tube change tonight so we now have the used one from her neck and she's using the other. If anyone has any of those, let me know what shipping is. I'm also looking for an extra obturator or two for the 3 ped trach since that was in the bag. What probably ticks me off the most is the bag itself. I loved it and now I have to search for another with all the right pockets. We've got two bags - one for her trach stuff and then one for all the other baby stuff since she's just nine months old. I've thought about one larger bag but two smaller ones fit on her stroller better.

Shylent
04-17-2009, 02:17 AM
We have put luggage tags on all of Sebastian's bags along with writing " This is life saving medical equipment, if found please call (cell phone #) immediately" which it high lighted.

We have only left the suction and emergency bag once , at a Target, realized it like 5 mintues later and headed back to find the store closed. I was ready to knock on the door until stock crew heard me and decided to see what all the noise was all about but there was a very confused teenager pulling in carts who had discovered the bags earlier who was able to assist us , lol.

Baby1107
04-17-2009, 08:46 PM
So sorry about your bag. How awful that no one would return it to lost & found. Geez!!!

I have never thought of luggage tags, but that is a GREAT idea!!! Two months ago we switched to a new diaper bag that is so roomy we also have ALL the medical stuff in it. We were able to eliminate one bag and it is GREAT!!! This can hold Gtube & Trach supplies & Ambu bag as well as 2 extra cans of formula, and the usual baby stuff like change of clothing , diapers, wipes. etc.

It is the Graco "Dad Bag" (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4433194)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3569/3451639920_78a2a41b5d_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3298/3450821283_34b24f4f2b_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3312/3450821317_02c830324d.jpg