PDA

View Full Version : When and what settings to ask to try a home vent?

againes304
04-16-2009, 02:57 AM
At what settings should we inquire about a home vent? They said JJ would need to be on a vent for several months. He is doing really well! Very good gasses. Vent setting have came down alot! When would be a reasonable time to insist on a home vent!

Niff
04-16-2009, 07:11 AM
At what settings should we inquire about a home vent? They said JJ would need to be on a vent for several months. He is doing really well! Very good gasses. Vent setting have came down alot! When would be a reasonable time to insist on a home vent!

If JJ is stable, ask for it now. It may take a while to get through the hospital's red tape on getting the vent in. Plus not every child tolerates the home vent the first time they go on it... so you don't want to wait 2 days before discharge to do that unless hospital policy requires it (like in our situation). You really want to be as comfortable with the vent as possible. We trained on the LTV 950 yesterday and found it pretty easy to manage but every person is different. But yes, I'd go ahead and make the request now. There's no "magic settings", really. It just depends on what your child is stable at.

lynn
04-16-2009, 08:11 AM
If he is stable, I would start inquiring about it now. Our hospital required us to be trained on the vent setup/ use/ troubleshooting ect before putting him on.. and then he was required to be on home vent for 2weeks before allowing discharge. As Niff said, some kids dont like to be switched over to the home vent and may need to be put on a few times and worked up to full time use of it. I know in our case, it took a week of putting him on daily, sometimes 2x a day before he became comfortable enough to stay on it for more than minutes at a time. -weaning to home vent was a very long process.

drct1245
04-16-2009, 08:29 PM
It took a month or 2 of trying 1 home vent, which didn't work (the child has to be 5 kg) and then a few weeks of research from the Dr to get the right vent. Then we were on our home vent for about a month before going home. If the hosptials don't have one on hand, usually they have an LTV of some kind, then they would have the contact the manufacturer and see if they can get a loaner to try for a period of time, which is what Ayden had to do as he didn't like the LTV.

So, I would at least pose the question to your primary Dr as to when they will consider trying out a home vent. (?)

Like others have said, make sure you are able to do all the trach care, g-tube care, and know how to give meds, etc. The other thing they look at the eating.

good luck!!!

kshell
04-16-2009, 08:44 PM
Hi. Generally a child is supposed to be around 5 kg to go on on the LTV, the home vent of choice. Natalie was a little less and transitioned the day the tried her on it and never looked back. Not all children transition as easily. They prepared us for a long transition period, but in typical Natalie style did the reverse of what they thought. If he is stable now I would bring it up as you want him to try as soon as able. Our DME delivered the one Natalie actually has in our home and used all the time prior to sprinting.
The settings vary upon each child. I do know that Natalie's settings had to have some minor adjustments when switched. Good luck. It's a big step in getting home.
Karen