PDA

View Full Version : Oral Rehydration Salts (electrolytes)

kirafaesmom
04-15-2009, 12:26 AM
Hi everyone. I wanted to pass on a tip that could potentially save you a little, or in our case, a LOT of money. During one of our hospital stays, I had an attending mention that there had to be a way to get the pre-packaged rehydration salts cheaper than I was buying the store brand of pedialite; we go through a LOT when Kira's blood pressure is unstable. (have to bolus her to get her back up). The pharmacist couldn't find it anywhere, so I found it online and printed it out for the attending and asked her to ok it with the pharmacy. They did and it works great. Subsequent labs proved her electrolytes to be just fine after using the home recipe. I would highly suggest running this by your pediatrician first, but it's worked great for us. Simply mix 1 teaspoon of salt, 8 teaspoons of sugar and 1000 cc of water together. Use within 24 hours as with the store bought version.

I hope this helps someone else,

JWorthington
04-15-2009, 03:31 AM
Excellent tip Michelle!:) Thankfully it isn't a route we have to take often, but it's good to know about.

Julie

Mom2TwinsPlus1
04-15-2009, 09:24 AM
Excellent tip Michelle!:) Thankfully it isn't a route we have to take often, but it's good to know about.

Julie

We tried the same thing with Derek when he had rotovirus as a baby. We added just a squirt or so of lemon juice to make it a bit tasty to drink. I still thought it tasted like poop but he didn't mind! Kids with mickey buttons would probably do well with this too, of course since they dont taste it

saywhatyouwill
04-15-2009, 09:45 AM
we do this with emily when she quits eating - on the recommendation of my gpa (a doctor) and my mum (a former pharmacologist). i understood why we were doing it but just hadn't twigged that it's the same things as the electrolytes you buy in the shops!!!!

:o

Alethia
04-15-2009, 12:57 PM
We do this too and Angus' carers think I'm crazy! LOL!

It's better if you use Lo-salt because people lose more potassium than sodium when they have diarrhoea/vomiting. You do have to be precise with your measures as well. Use a 5ml medicine teaspoon and level it off so you are not putting too much salt into the mixture.

So:
1 x 5ml tsp Lo-salt
8 x 5ml tsp sugar
1 litre very dilute juice or boiled/bottled water or tea (I sometimes use peppermint tea)

This recipe is on all the hospital walls in Africa as it literally saves lives. And you're right, it's WAY cheaper than the Dioralyte or Pedialyte! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. :)

lynn
04-15-2009, 01:07 PM
Thats a great recipe to know- While Joseph isnt allowed to use because of his kidneys -I will keep it in my mind, my 13yr daughter just got over a week of stomach flu and I probably spent over $70 on just gatorade/pedialyte- and she gave such a hard time because of the taste(she doesnt like any of the flavors on a good day). She would have loved it in the tea - since its her favorite drink.