PDA

View Full Version : We are home finally!

JacobKaden
04-14-2009, 12:53 PM
What an ordeal! The surgery itself turned out to be the least stressful. It was the postop that was a nightmare! The PCCU literally could NOT handle Jacob, despite all the meds, he would NOT settle, once he did not have to be sedated with morphine.

They ended up doing a full neurological work-up, only to find "nothing". The more drugs they pumped into him, the more agitated he became.:eek: Finally, one resident saw how Jacob completely relaxed when DH picked him up, with "normal muscle tone" after 2 rounds of ativan, 2 different muscle relaxers and tylenol did NOTHING! She said this is "behavioural" not his brain. It's like he's having a temper tantrum.:banging:

They finally discharged him on Sunday evening, at our insistence because we were confident we could manage him better at home. ENT had already approved discharge 5 days postop. We were only kept in longer for the neurological work-up. They sent us home with prescriptions for the muscle relaxers (which I don't intend to fill) and codeine, which we only gave once.

I really hope there are no more lengthy hospital admissions for Jacob because I know they will not be able to handle him!:eek: Thank God the stent removal is day surgery!

faywrayy
04-14-2009, 01:36 PM
Glad to hear you're home!! He'll bounce back faster at home anyway!

kirafaesmom
04-14-2009, 01:49 PM
Oh my goodness....what a nightmare! We had a foster daughter that was non-verbal, autistic, brain injured, meth/alcohol affected, seizures.....MAJOR behaviors. Hospitalizations with her were NOT fun. I'm so glad you got the ok to head home. It will be much easier there.

My little figther
04-14-2009, 01:52 PM
Welcome Home Jacob!!! I am glad you made it.
Michelle

JWorthington
04-15-2009, 02:27 AM
Phew, that sounds like a nightmare! Glad you're home:)

alizesmom
04-15-2009, 07:27 AM
Glad you are home. :hug: Karen

Kate
04-15-2009, 07:42 AM
YEAH! Glad you are home!!! That little guy has some spunk huh?! That's good-he wont let anyone push him around...though tends to be tough on Mom and Dad.

Glad to hear you are finally home and this is behind you! Take care:hug:

debvec
04-15-2009, 07:51 AM
yikes, glad to hear you are home and everyone is more comfortable.

Niff
04-15-2009, 08:26 AM
Yowza. I'm glad Jacob's home and not dealing with all that. Big :hug:s.

Alex's mom
04-15-2009, 08:36 AM
I'm sure he must be so much happier now that he's home. :hug:

TommysMommy
04-15-2009, 12:12 PM
My goodness! I'm glad to hear that it was behavioral and not neruological. Sounds like he just wanted to be held and comforted. Stent removal is easy-peasy. ENT just snips the stitch next to the stoma holding them, then removal is through the mouth.

Hope
04-15-2009, 02:27 PM
Man oh man, no fun at all. So glad y'all are home!!!
Hope

Kira
04-15-2009, 03:01 PM
Your explanation of your son's post-op experience sounds very similar to my daughter's post-op experiences. I could feel your frustration! I'm very glad that you are home and hope you have a better experience in the hospital next time.

twintotwin
04-15-2009, 04:58 PM
Welcome home! :hug: