PDA

View Full Version : low sats

babybear
04-13-2009, 08:05 AM
Gabriel has had low sats since his last hospitalization two weeks ago. He normally sats 96-100% on room air, and now is lucky if he can get to 93% (he's been about 88-92%). He's been requiring oxygen almost every night, and has horrible coughing spells in the mornings, accompanied by really thick, yellowish mucus. He tested positive for pseudomonas when he was hopsitalized last time, but I don't think his meds took care of it. I really want to get him back to where he was before this last illness, and hate to "bandaid" the problem by simply giving him oxygen every night. Any thoughts?

T-bone
04-13-2009, 08:16 AM
Did he get an x-ray to check for pneumonia? It sounds like that to me.
Abby gets a horrible cough and the secretions are really gross.
It might be worth to put a call in to get one ordered.

Tess

JWorthington
04-13-2009, 09:02 AM
Tess is right, you need to get this checked out, pseudomonas does not usually cause problems with sats. Is he having any nebs to clear the mucus? even saline nebs would help. Good luck

Julie

babybear
04-13-2009, 09:24 AM
He did show signs of pneumonia when he was last hospitalized, but he was treated with 4 days of IV antibiotics and 7 days of oral meds. We're going to the Ped tonight, and I'll ask about a repeat chest x-ray. As for nebs, he's getting albuterol every 4-6 hours and pulmicort every night. Thanks. :)

Kira
04-13-2009, 01:34 PM
Whenever my daughter gets pseudomonas, her Oxygen Saturations also significantly drop. This is the case with most infections for her.
My greatest discovery was when I met Dr. Robert Wood at Cincinnati Children's hospital. For the first three years of Jaci's pseudomonas infections, Jaci was give tobramycin nebs. It did help, but she never seemed better. Then Dr. Wood recommended Gentamycin (mixed with saline) to go directly down the trach. This way, you don't lose any medication through the nebulizer. I believe this has been one of the best treatments for Jaci, so I like to tell everyone about it. I asked our pediatrician to call Dr. Wood so she could also order it for Jaci. She now prescribes it also. Putting Gentamycin down the trach does sound risky, but I could not believe the difference it made for Jaci. If your child continues to have pseudomonas problems, you might want to ask your doctor about Gentamycin down the trach. Sometimes I think that Dr.Wood is one of the only doctors who prescribes this, though. I hope that your child gets better quickly.

babybear
04-14-2009, 08:19 AM
We went to the Ped last night, and she called Gabriel's Pulmonologist. He recommended that Gabriel get inhaled Gentamycin for the next month. I'm hoping we can start the med today, but since it has to come from a specialty pharmacy, we might have to wait a little longer. He's to have a follow-up with the Ped in 2-3 days, and we're supposed to see the Pulm next week. I'm really hoping this med does the trick, I really want him back to his old self!

cherienz
04-14-2009, 09:25 AM
Mitch has had colonized pseudomonas now and we have used both Gentamycin and Tobramycin. Currently we have tested negative for a few months.

Both Gent and Tobe, have always been given via a neb with a 4ml/4 ml (8 mg - I think) dose. - We used Gentamycin for almost a year and became insensitive to it. We then moved to Tobramycin for a few months, but now we have now been off for 2 months. BUT our last resp consultant said to do month on - month off of tobramycin as this was the recommended - so that it does not get resistant.

We don't normally get too much lower sats, but I can always Smell pseudomonas. A real giveaway for psuedmonas.
Cheers Cherie

babybear
04-14-2009, 11:38 AM
We don't normally get too much lower sats, but I can always Smell pseudomonas. A real giveaway for psuedmonas.
Cheers Cherie

Yes!!! Pseudomonas has the worst smell. That's what's making me think that we might be dealing with somethig else...I don't smell anything this time. My hope is that we've gotten rid of the majority of it, and only a small portion remains.