PDA

View Full Version : G-tube?

Vicki Rocha
04-12-2009, 11:56 AM
We just recently got the recommendation from our GI doc to have a G-Tube placed..I guess I'm not suprised, Isaac has kind of just stopped at the 18 pound mark..he has only gained 12 ounces in the last 2 and a half months... I know he needs it so im trying to look at this as a good thing.. So we are going to Cincinatti Children's tomarro morning for an upper GI and PH probe test. If he has reflux, they say the gtube placement becomes a little more complex..Im praying that he does not have reflux because Isaac is currently scheduled for his LTP surgery on May 1st by Dr. Cotton. The docs say that IF he does not have reflux that they can go ahead and place the gtube at the same time as the LTP. IF he does have reflux then we will have the gtube placed and then of course give him time to heal and that means rescheduling the LTP AGAIN..I am finally soooo ready for the LTP so im praying that there is NO reflux..My question for you all is What was some of your experiences with getting the Gtube placed? Was it a painful experience for your kids and how long does it take before they felt comfortable with the tube? Thanks for listening:)

bradensmom
04-12-2009, 01:37 PM
Braden has his placed when he was almost 2months old. He had reflux so he had a NISSEN at the same time. He was in the hospital for 2days. He required some Morphine and Tylenol #3, but it wasn't too bad. One good thing about having a G-Tube is that when they don't feel like eating or drinking, you can still give them the fluids and medications that they need to get well.

Amy

suzanne2545
04-12-2009, 03:27 PM
Parker had his G-Tube placed at about 5 weeks. One week (or so) post trach placement and in the same OR as having surgery to repair pyloric stenosis.

He was totally fine - small amount of pain med. Pulled it out a week later and had to have it replaced.

We got used to it quickly. Had it out 6 months later.

I would ask how quickly you can get a button vs. a peg tube (or whatever). The less to grab onto the better.

TommysMommy
04-13-2009, 12:38 AM
Tommy got his at two weeks old. His first of many, many surgical interventions. He couldn't swallow, so it was a necessity to have it done asap. He never had to get used to it, because it was just another part of his body to him. He had a peg his entire life, we never made it to a button because of sensory issues.

One thing, we found out he had reflux AFTER the tube was placed. When he had his Nissen done, he had to have a new peg site placed because his stomach wasn't in the same place afterwards.

babybear
04-13-2009, 07:59 AM
Gabriel was only seven weeks when he had his g-tube and Nissen done. He recovered very quickly, and was home 72 hours after surgery. The only problem we've had with the g-tube is leakage around the site, and we just pack gauze around it, which seems to help.

JWorthington
04-13-2009, 09:05 AM
Sam also had reflux, so had a nissen and g-tube at the same time. I hope you dont have to reschedule the LTP:hug:

Julie

Kira
04-13-2009, 01:07 PM
I hope that your son does not have reflux - good luck with everything.
Jaci first got her g-tube when she got her trach when she was two. The trach was a much bigger deal, so I did not think much about the g-tube. THEN the g-tube came out and the track closed, so she had to have another surgery for the g-tube. This was a pretty tough surgery for a toddler. I highly recommend g-tubes as it is a literal life savor for my daughter, but I do want to give you a heads up that it can be a difficult surgery. I think it took at least two weeks to heel at home. I remember it being challenging because she wanted to move around much more and she could not. Even though it was a tough surgery, I am still a huge advocate for g-tubes. My daughter is still underweight with a g-tube, so I can't imagine how she would be without it.

My little figther
04-13-2009, 01:27 PM
Cedric was 5 weeks when the nissen and the G-tube were done. Pain medication for a couple of days and no complications.
Good luck with everything
Michelle

KJKK8437
04-13-2009, 02:16 PM
We did ours at the same time as the trach, so I have no idea what the recovery is like separate. Like Tommy, we found the Gtube actually created a reflux problem when there wasn't one before. :mad:

We went straight to a Mic-key -- never had a peg.

Alethia
04-13-2009, 03:45 PM
I have a short video of my son the day after he had his g-tube and Nissen fundo done. He was 10 months old. For us it was a very positive thing as the fundo worked well in controlling his reflux. He gained weight well and stopped throwing up, AND his respiratory status improved - withing a week of his fundo his vent settings and oxygen levels were reduced. I know he looks fat enough in the video, but he was really full of gas from the surgery, and his limbs always looked chubby as a baby because of his dwarfism. He was throwing up between 5-10 times a day before his surgery was done.

Angus g-tube video (http://www.ellisvancreveld.co.uk/evc/Videos/Movie.wmv)

Niff
04-13-2009, 09:47 PM
Mackenzie was almost 5 months old (2mo adjusted) and tolerated it like a champ. She was on pain meds for 24hours and then they switched to PRN and she didn't show any signs of needing more. We did have to dress her sooner than normal because of course her hands went straight for the MicKey button! Even to this day she tries to grab it when she doesn't have clothes on.

We did have a problem with infection, though. Mackenzie's very sensitive and she got an infection from the sutures. Now she has four small scars around her MicKey. Also, if the sutures are left in too long, they'll cause scarring too.