PDA

View Full Version : Lung advice

TommysMommy
04-10-2009, 12:54 PM
I hope everyone here has some brainstorming ideas. I have a friend who is NOT trached, but has severe asthma. Her peak flow is barely 400. She has not been able to get better for over a month now. She's on yet another round of Prednisone. She's been on antibiotics, I taught her how to do CPT to try to get some of the gunk up. I also suggested to increase the humidity in her home. She just can't cough it out. It's hurting her to breathe. She's already been in the hospital once for a week on oxygen. I suggested that she ask her doctor for a lung wash.

Any other suggestions I can recommend for her? She's in the Chicago area.

My little figther
04-10-2009, 01:15 PM
No suggestions really I don't have any experience with asthma and this question might be stupid but how is a lung wash done?

Michelle

TommysMommy
04-10-2009, 01:43 PM
During a bronch, the doctor flushes the lungs with a small amount of sterile saline.

My little figther
04-10-2009, 01:46 PM
During a bronch, the doctor flushes the lungs with a small amount of sterile saline.

Thanks why did I not think of that!!! it sounds very logical now

Michelle

TommysDad
04-10-2009, 02:05 PM
What hospital is your friend dealing with? My mom had lung issues for years! I kept telling her, "GET A SECOND OPINION!!!" Finally she went to University of Chicago. It was a hike for her, but they got down to the root of the problem. I have also hear Rush hospital is good. I'm getting more and more biasis against Northwestern, but they do have good doctors. I just don't care for the care we got there and neither does one of Tommy's nurses.

~Maggie

Niff
04-10-2009, 07:41 PM
Are we entirely sure it's asthma and not cystic fibrosis? Sometimes the two can be confused. I'd suggest a sweat test to rule out CF.

I'd continue with breathing treatments to open up her air sacs.

drct1245
04-10-2009, 10:32 PM
Is she on any inhalation meds?

TommysMommy
04-11-2009, 02:11 AM
Pretty sure she's had a sweat test for CF. She has chronic asthma and it's looking like allergens are starting to play into the picture as well.

She is on inhaled meds, but at this point, I couldn't tell you what. She's doing breathing treatments, seeing a pulmonologist, on prednisone, doing CPT, and just not getting any better. I'm really starting to worry.

I will find out what hospital she is using. Thanks for all of your help. I know there must be something out there that will get her over this hump and back to good lung function.

suzanne2545
04-11-2009, 01:00 PM
Has she tried chiropractic? I have not direct experience BUT Ian used to see one for some back issues and he immediately asked Ian if he was asthmatic because he has this telltale, subtle stoop at the top of his shoulders. Apparently for some asthmatics there are some things that can be done.

It is interesting about her peak flow. I'm NOT an asthmatic and mine is only about 375. Maybe I need to sneak some of the abundant drugs we have around here!

Has she had allergy testing? I can tell you that adding singulair to the regimen of both Ian and Griffin has really really helped. Singulair works well for those whose asthma can be triggered by some allergies.

Also, for the "junkiness" she might want to consider eliminating both dairy and soy from her diet for awhile to see if things improve. Both are extremely congestive in the wrong person. I'd be happy to talk to her more about how to do an elimination diet if that is something that resonates with her.