PDA

View Full Version : Taking temperature

JWorthington
04-10-2009, 05:16 AM
How do you monitor your child's temperature? We have one of those digital thermometers that you place in the ear. the funny thing is , Sam is showing with a high temperature in his right ear, but a normal one in his left! I don't know which to believe...

My little figther
04-10-2009, 06:33 AM
Digital thermometers that you just swipe on the forhead exist - they are a little pricy but they work - How weird to have normal temp in one ear and fever in the other....well do our kids do anything like anybody else??? Hope you figure this out.

Michelle

Isaac'sMomandDad
04-10-2009, 08:29 AM
Ear thermometers are notoriously unreliable. I just use a regular digital thermometer (available for around $9 at any drugstore) and check under the arm.

Lara

Niff
04-10-2009, 10:04 AM
We also use an ear thermometer and go by the philosophy that you have to be that warm for it to read warm. KWIM? Although what I've found to make a difference is if the child has been laying on that ear. If they have, it will automatically register much warmer than their core body temp.

babybear
04-10-2009, 10:21 AM
I just use a regular digital thermometer (available for around $9 at any drugstore) and check under the arm.

Lara

Ditto.

Mom2TwinsPlus1
04-10-2009, 10:52 AM
After trying everything out there, we just use a digital underneath Emma's arm.

We have had an ear one, very unrealiable.

We also had a pretty expensive forehead swipping one called a temporal artery themometor. Again I also found the temps to be a deg or more off, even though I was using it correctly. We tried underarm and to compare, it was off so we did a rectal temp, with a diffrent themometor and came up with a little more than a deg off from the forehead.

Thankfully with no nursing anymore we don't have to take her temp throught the night or anything now. I just take it if she is sick or feels too hot or cold and that is pretty rare. Although lately with this cold, I have taken ita bout every 4 hours or so

lynn
04-10-2009, 11:14 AM
we use underarm also. The ear one was always off --even in same ear if waiting a minute and retaking it there was a difference in temp

faywrayy
04-10-2009, 11:37 AM
Ditto on the ear ones being unreliable, though I used them for years with the boys. With Kate, we had so many digital ones from the hospital, we used them. Her nurse prefered under the arm, unless it was obvious she had fever, then she'd do rectal to get a real temp.

LKN
04-10-2009, 01:36 PM
We like the temporal thermometer the best--you just swipe it across the forehead. We have found it really reliable.

alizesmom
04-10-2009, 08:54 PM
We use the temporal also and have found it to be pretty reliable and very quick. My kids hate the armpit almost as much as the rectum. If I'm wanting to be very accurate then I do a rectal. Karen

Kate
04-10-2009, 10:25 PM
Julie! Funny you say that--we do the same-the digital in the ear. And Mitchell's right ear is about 1 degree higher than his left. I always say-if I want his temp to be higher I always have the nurse take it in the right-if I want it low, I have her take it in the left :D I don't really know why? But 9 out of 10 times it'll be 1 degree off.

Baby1107
04-10-2009, 10:42 PM
We use the temporal thermometer, if it is questionable we do under the arm. The forehead one is just MUCH quicker.

Funny: Austin has bilateral microtia (no ears) & atresia (no ear canal). So why do nurses in the Drs offices always try to use the Ear thermometer? Even when I say, 'Oh no he has microtia.' They say, 'but can we still use this one?' Ummm, that would be NO!!! :hairpull:

drct1245
04-10-2009, 11:01 PM
We too usually get one ear that is warmer than the other too... w/ the ear thermometer. I just go w/ the warmest. (?) When Ayden was teething, it would be the side of the mouth where the tooth was pushing through.

Big Al
04-11-2009, 01:20 AM
Be sure to pull the ear up and slightly back. if a person is laying on one side or if they have been resting their head on their hand the temp can be different. Some times one ear just always reads higher than the other. I've tried the temporal scan thermometers and I just don't care for them If the child moves if screws the reading. Even when I feet a good read with the temporal it is lower than the oral or axilary.