PDA

View Full Version : Digestive Enzimes

TommysDad
04-10-2009, 03:01 AM
Any of you use them with your child?

Tommy used to always puke. Then as he got older, it did get better, but we also noticed as he was coming down with a trache/lung infection, his stomach residuals would increase dramatically in between feeds. Then as he would cough, he'd end up projectile vomiting! This would be the 'straw that broke the camel's back', and we'd call to get a trache culture done. Sure enough something severe would grow and pulm would treat with strong, powerful antibiotics.

Pulm & parents keep wondering if we are treating active infections or colonizations, but when Tommy starts to projectile vomit 6 times a day, we all think it must be an active infection, and he does get treatment.

Well out of desperation (it seemed) with this last bout, Tommy's nutritionist put him on a plant based digestive enzyme available over the counter as soon as we saw these high residuals again. As soon as we started it, his residuals went down dramatically! He grew in length the past two weeks in a row since we have started these enzymes which never happens!!! His secretions are still nasty looking. We did get a trache culture back that has stuff growing in it, but we aren't seeing any high heart rate or puking that we usually see. (He doesn't tend to ge fevers or desat.) So, we're hoping this time maybe these germs really are just colonized and he just needed this enzyme to help him digest his food better and absorb more nutrients which could be what is helping him grow better these two weeks.

Right now the nutritionist only has him talking 1/2 a pill. She's surprised that he's doing so well and that we have seen such improvement with just the 1/2 pill once a day. She said many of her clients need 1/2 a pill twice a day.

So now I'm wondering if we should have tried this a year ago! Maybe we were over-treating with antibiotics for colonized trache infections when really all Tommy needed was some help digesting his food so he would puke!!!

Just wondering if any of your kids are on these digestive enzymes?

PS. Our nutritionist also told me if I ever reach for Tums for an upset stomach to reach for the digestive enzymes instead! I'm actually looking forward to trying them:blush:

~Maggie

JWorthington
04-10-2009, 04:38 AM
Maggie, that is really interesting. Sam has had a nissen so cant vomit, but when he's getting sick he always heaves a lot so i wonder if that could help him. Thanks for the info, hope Tommy continues to improve.

Julie x

My little figther
04-10-2009, 06:36 AM
Very interesting!! I guess it is a supplement to our natural digestive enzymes - I did not know they existed over the counter maybe my husband should try them. Glad Tommy is improving and growing.

Michelle

drct1245
04-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Hmmmm... we too have have that same issue when Ayden gets sick... which is what we are going through right now. I do know when that happens, pedialyte helps get some of the secretions pushed through. I will have go vitamin cottage and try it!

saywhatyouwill
04-11-2009, 02:26 PM
we used to use them when emily was a small baby, before her trach. we tried EVERYTHING! in desperation thinking she might have colic. i don't know if it's the same type of stuff, but i assume it would be similar.

hope it works
x

drct1245
04-11-2009, 07:41 PM
When I went to the store for the digestive enzyme, they actual have something called mucostop - it's supposed to break down the protein in the mucus, so I am trying it... he has had sooo much and we are throwing up a lot of our food. :( Just an FYI...

I looked on the BD board and many people use it in their BD.

Hope it continues to help you!

TommysDad
04-12-2009, 07:07 AM
Never heard of mucostop either until now. I tell you, the things our kids teach us! Geesh! I'll have to ask our nutritionist if she's heard of it. Tommy doesn't have that problem (that I'm aware of), but maybe some of her other clients do.

~Maggie