PDA

View Full Version : Starter Signs

Niff
04-09-2009, 06:03 PM
I'm looking for input on what your first signs were with your trached kiddo. We were told by our speech therapist to start with 5-10 signs and we're debating which ones to go with.

I think right now we've picked: Mommy, Daddy, paci, milk, more, hungry, sleepy, and hurt.

TommysMommy
04-09-2009, 06:11 PM
We started with eat, more, stop/that's enough, yes, no, play, and love. Guess which one he signed back to us first....

play!

Louise D
04-09-2009, 06:16 PM
Those are good to start. Here is a web page that might be helpful www.signingsavvy.com . You type in the sign and they show you how to do it.

Louise

llwilliams8
04-09-2009, 06:23 PM
I would probably add all done and no/stop to your list. :) We bought a book called Signing Exact English and it has EVERY word in it. We also got the Baby Signs starter kit that has a cute video for the babies to watch and it has a list of common words to go on your fridge. We are just now learning and signing with Autumn as well. I can't wait to see what her first sign will be--we work on Mommy the most, so just maybe but I doubt it.

Baby1107
04-09-2009, 07:37 PM
The first signs that Austin understood were jump & want. The first that he signed was want & more -- greedy bugger! He now knows at least 30-40 signs and understands much more. We have been signing since he was 6 months old as he has a bilateral moderate-severe hearing loss. There are several signs that we use constantly that he still does not sign...like Mommy for instance. :rolleyes:

Good luck! Austin is addicted to watching Signing Times. We bought the dvd's in Dec and his signing has skyrocketed in the past 4 months.

suzanne2545
04-09-2009, 08:55 PM
I think you've picked some great ones to start. My suggestion (and this comes from having signed with three kids) is that once YOU get used to using a few signs and integrating them into your lives then go ahead and add new ones. Don't overwhelm yourself, this is a foreign language you are learning. But just like she isn't going to understand or repeat every word you SAY back to her but you still use those verbal words you can do the same with sign.

Choose words that are relevant to her as you add them in.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it in this thread but the Signing Time series of videos is phenomenol. I highly recommend them. My kids were all enthralled with them and once it started to really "click" they picked up sign much faster than I could.

Another phenomenol resource is: http://aslbrowser.commtechlab.msu.edu/browser.htm

This is basically a browser dictionary. My older kids would often have a word that they wanted to learn and teach Parker. Nearly every day I would have to look up words for them: hot dog, king, whatever. It was funny what they wanted to learn. The browser has a short video and also a description of the how to sign the word. We found it invaluable.

Niff
04-09-2009, 09:21 PM
Quick question - Some words have different signs according to different websites. How do I know which one is the "correct" sign?

Peyton's Parents
04-09-2009, 09:57 PM
Peyton is a huge fan of the Baby Signing Times videos. We didn't necessarily focus on any particular signs, just learned them along with her while watching the videos. Her first sign - "doggy" - since we have two dachshounds! Although you may choose signs to focus on first you may find that your child decides on something else to start actually signing first. As Peyton's sign language teacher explained to us - you can't really overwhelm them with signs. They have an amazing ability to pick them up. In the beginning they just take it all in and then suddenly they start signing back. Peyton's first sign was around the age of 1. Now that she is 19 months old she has over 100 signs in her vocabulary. Her ability to learn new signs is only hampered by how may of the Signing Time videos we have and her parents ability to learn new ones!

suzanne2545
04-09-2009, 09:59 PM
Quick question - Some words have different signs according to different websites. How do I know which one is the "correct" sign?

"Correct" would be ASL vs say, baby signs. But like most languages there are variations.

Any ASL based resource is a safe bet. And, remember, your daughter will probably make up signs too! That's ok. That is a normal part of language development.

TommysDad
04-10-2009, 02:16 AM
Love all the advice you've gotten already! Just wanted to add that we also added "suction"!:) We couldn't find it in a book or on-line. So, we invented our own! This was his first sign:D

Why different signs for same words? Best guess...Regional or different dialects & sometimes ASL vs. SEE. Signing does require words to be used in context. For instance, you might see the sign for 'stand' and 'fork' and 'jump' being used interchangably (in some resources/conversations there may be some subtle differences), but it's all in context.

~Maggie

Wooders80
04-10-2009, 03:02 AM
What everyone else has said already is great advice, but did want to add that teaching signs of things that are of interest to the child is a good idea too. One of Dominic's very first signs he started using was "T" for Thomas the Tank Engine! We use a different signing system in the UK (makataon), but it's important to make sure you teach consistent signs - baby signing books sometimes adapt/ make-up signs. So just make sure any resource you buy is consistent with the signing system you are teaching.

libby1205
04-10-2009, 01:41 PM
I bought the ASL sign book but of course its like 500 pages but very good and divided up well but really I havent had time to study it. Then i happened upon this Baby Signing for Dummies in the dollar section at Target. Its a tiny pocket sized book and it has all the beginning signs in it. So we started with those. If you dont have a target I would google it. Good Luck at home!!

lynn
04-10-2009, 06:40 PM
We do the basic ones - milk, more, up, down, play, music, water, no, all done,eat, and we also made up one for suction.
(he made up his own for tv- and his shows)

saywhatyouwill
04-11-2009, 02:29 PM
whether or not there is a "correct" sign depends on where you want to go with it i suppose. we used the makaton/baby signs, plus some we made up ourselves, plus a few emily has made up herself. we are happy to be flexible because she only communicate with people who know her own signs.
we started with all gone, more, yes, no, mummy, daddy, emily.
her first sign was "duck" at 10 or so months. now she's 2 she is talking (with words) a lot and in sentences but interchanges with her signs.

kadiera
04-13-2009, 08:48 AM
We added suction to Alexander's list too - we used "suck" for that, since it kind of mimics the vent tubes anyway.

We also added doctor/nurse.

Here's the sheet we made up for Alexander in the hospital (http://sprog.quicksilverdragon.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/alexsigns.pdf), though I'm not overly fond of the sign for "help" that we used at the time

We like Signing Time videos. I've started reviewing signing materials for little kids as part of our signing blog at http://signingwithalex.com too - there's a ton of online dictionary links there.

Momof2NC
06-03-2009, 12:30 AM
I have talked to the nurses about signing and need some suggestions. How do you approach the nurses with signing. They are with him 16 hours a day and I can do my portion but he doesn't speak and not making any attempts with his PMV. Does anyone have any good flash cards or methods to distribute to the nurses to teach them?

twintotwin
06-03-2009, 06:40 AM
I don't know if anyone else posted this since I didn't have a chance to read the comments...this is a great source for your needs: First 100 Signs: http://www.lifeprint.com/asl101/pages-layout/concepts.htm

I think the best way for you to learn is to know the entire alphabet first, then the other signs come easier.

kadiera
06-03-2009, 08:36 AM
I have talked to the nurses about signing and need some suggestions. How do you approach the nurses with signing. They are with him 16 hours a day and I can do my portion but he doesn't speak and not making any attempts with his PMV. Does anyone have any good flash cards or methods to distribute to the nurses to teach them?

We told them we expected them to sign with him.

We made copies of sign pictures out of books, and bought flash cards. We're adding them to his wall a few at a time so the nurses can get used to them.

Some of the nurses are more on board than others, but I think once the school district gets involved and speech therapy is on board, if it's anything like his insurance-paid therapy, we'll make a log sheet that they have to sign each day for whatever the therapist said he needs to work on.

La Belle-Mere
06-03-2009, 02:04 PM
We also use signs with the girls (13 & 15) due to hearing problems..only about 1/2 of the signs we use are "real" signs... we made up some based on how the girls would understand what we were trying to say.

One of the ones we use a lot is WAIT. :rolleyes:

Communication with the nurses is always the first hurdle we encounter with new staff but we have found that it is usually just a matter of time before they figure out a way to communite with the girls.

twintotwin
06-03-2009, 06:11 PM
One of the ones we use a lot is WAIT. :rolleyes:

I was just telling my mom how I feel like I'm signing "wait" all day long...just as much as Milo signs "swing" and "movie".

One problem we have with signing is that my boys have CP (one mild, one more severe) so most signs look mostly the same. This is where we end up creating our own sign.

We keep a giant dry erase board up with a list of all the signs the boys can use. The nurses learn the signs along with us, and when there are new signs we add them to the list...the nurses will ask me or another nurse & memorize them.
I think some outsiders might feel like it's just a novelty with toddlers...until they realize the child is frustrated.
I know my mother thought this at first...but now that my boys are almost 7 years-old she's desperate to learn signs to communicate with my guys.

Baby1107
06-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Our nurses learned right along with Austin. They are with him 12hrs a day they really had not choice but to learn. We started with Signing Times and added from there. Austin knows & uses about 70+ signs now. We "started" with the dvds last December. Some signs he "modifies" but it is essentially ASL.

kadiera
06-05-2009, 08:45 AM
Our nurses learned right along with Austin. They are with him 12hrs a day they really had not choice but to learn. We started with Signing Times and added from there. Austin knows & uses about 70+ signs now. We "started" with the dvds last December. Some signs he "modifies" but it is essentially ASL.

Some of our nurses watch along with Alexander, and are learning signs quickly. Others are not so....invested....in learning. Which is odd, since our agency basically only does trach kids. :confused:

scm
06-06-2009, 07:53 AM
Please/thank you were early ones for us too.

Do you have the signing time videos? I might have one or two lying around if you haven't gotten one yet. I'd be happy to pass along to you.
LEt me know:)

Niff
06-06-2009, 02:57 PM
Please/thank you were early ones for us too.

Do you have the signing time videos? I might have one or two lying around if you haven't gotten one yet. I'd be happy to pass along to you.
LEt me know:)

We bought one of the Baby Signing Times DVDs and Mackenzie is n-o-t impressed. She rather watch Noggin. ;) I think I'll have to get one of the regular DVDs and see if she likes that any better.