PDA

View Full Version : Vancomycin-Resistant Enterococci (VRE), nasty bacteria

My little figther
04-09-2009, 10:23 AM
Vancomycin-Resistant Enterococci (VRE) - this is the bacteria that Cedric has in his blood

What causes a VRE infection?

VRE, like many bacteria, can be spread from one person to another through casual contact or through contaminated objects. Most often, VRE is spread from the hands of a health professional to a patient in a hospital or other health care setting. VRE is not usually spread through the air like the common cold or flu virus unless you have VRE pneumonia and are coughing, which is rare.

If you are healthy, your chances of getting VRE are very low. Even if you have been exposed to VRE, or have VRE in your body, you are not likely to get an infection. VRE infections generally only occur among people who have weakened immune systems, such as people with long-term illnesses or people who have had major surgery or other medical procedures and have been treated with multiple antibiotics.

Experts do not know exactly why some people become infected with VRE and others do not. But they do know that VRE infections are more likely to develop when antibiotics such as vancomycin are used often. Given enough time, bacteria can outsmart antibiotics so that these medicines no longer work well. This is why VRE and other antibiotic-resistant bacteria are sometimes called “super bugs.”

My little fighter does not do things half way, does he? It is a very very serious infection. But they changed his treatment of antibiotic accordingly and has two different ones now that I just can't remember the names of right now.

He keeps doing better little by very little - he does not have any medication for his blood pressure anymore. He is not on the vent either but just pressurazied oxygen for now and he is Pink not purplelish anymore.

Michelle

TommysMommy
04-09-2009, 10:37 AM
Wow! That sounds very serious. I am praying the doctors can find the right treatments to outsmart the bug. I'm glad to hear he is improving! Many hugs!

suzanne2545
04-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Super bugs are scary indeed. I'm glad they've pin pointed what it is. Now they just need to keep ahead of it with his treatment. Hugs to little Cedric.

kharmasmama
04-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Wow, hospitals can sure harbor some nasty stuff! One thing about trach kids though is that they're so strong! He's come through a lot, he'll kick this :) :hug:

kirafaesmom
04-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Wow.....He really doesn't do things halfway does he? I'm so glad they've finally narrowed it down and identified the nasty bug and can give him appropriate meds. I'm praying that they are able to treat this quickly. I'm also very relieved to hear that Cedric continues to improve.

JWorthington
04-09-2009, 12:55 PM
:hug: :hug: :hug:

kshell
04-09-2009, 02:42 PM
Wow, VRE is a nasty nasty (almost always hospital acquired) bug. I'm glad that Cedric is making baby steps in getting better. My parayers are still with you all.
Karen

Ainsley's Mom
04-09-2009, 05:13 PM
I'm glad to hear he's doing better bit by bit. That must be frustrating to know he most likely picked this up from a health care professional. I hope they will be extra careful with hygiene after this. :hug:

Hope
04-09-2009, 05:50 PM
:hug: :hug:
Hope
still praying

Niff
04-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Oh goodness. At least they know what it is! When I first read your post I thought he had an allergic reaction to something. I hope the antibiotics kick in fast and little Cedric is back to "normal".

bradensmom
04-09-2009, 06:09 PM
WOW!! How scary!!! Still sending prayers your way.

Amy

Christamae
04-09-2009, 08:43 PM
I got this after my back surgery in my bones when my wound opened. I ended up being allergic (anaphalaxis) to all the antibiotics that would treat it. With permission from the hospital board I was the first long-term patient in Sinercid (sp?). I was on it 4 months. Actually this was the starting step to my trach. I had to have another surgery to reopen and scrub my back. The day of the surgery I was on room air. After the surgery I couldn't be xtubated-trach and vent. All the trauma caused some rapid progression of my Muscular Dystrophy...

Sorry for hijacking the thread! My sister called those sterile gowns you have to wear peep suits ;)

TommysDad
04-10-2009, 02:23 AM
Thank goodness they now know what they are dealing with now and have other drugs to try to kill this super bug hopefully once and for all! I hope the new coctail works and fast!

:hug: Maggie

My little figther
04-10-2009, 06:54 AM
I got this after my back surgery in my bones when my wound opened. I ended up being allergic (anaphalaxis) to all the antibiotics that would treat it. With permission from the hospital board I was the first long-term patient in Sinercid (sp?). I was on it 4 months. Actually this was the starting step to my trach. I had to have another surgery to reopen and scrub my back. The day of the surgery I was on room air. After the surgery I couldn't be xtubated-trach and vent. All the trauma caused some rapid progression of my Muscular Dystrophy...

Sorry for hijacking the thread! My sister called those sterile gowns you have to wear peep suits ;)

Wow - this bacteria really is nasty - I am sorry to hear that because of it, it caused the rapid progression of your Muscular dystrophy - Cedric already has a trach so this one should not become a problem but I hope he will recover completely from this.

Yes this gown are so yellow and sexy!!!! LOL

Michelle