PDA

View Full Version : Cedric new update

My little figther
04-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Cedric is still in the PICU and still very sick but the baby steps improvements continue - they were again able to lower the dopamine to keep his blood pressure up to a very minimal dose. The upper part of his body has returned to pink color - his legs and feet not yet he still has the purple rash - He is doing a little better and still sleeps a lot.

Talking to his nurse she said he was having a good day today - no test scheduled for the rest of today and just let him rest.

Placing an IV in him is such a struggle - he has one his his femoral and one on his stomach - So the doctors would like to place another broviac - he already had 2 - that both caused blood infections in the past and the last broviac was removed 6 months ago - I suggested to my daughter that she mentions a port - I don't know if that would be an option for him but we can ask - I believe that the risk of infection might be a little lower than a broviac and it is obvious that Cedric is very incline to get blood infections. Does anybody have experience with a port?

I must admit this one is the worst by far. His recovery is really extremely slow - we hope it will go on and we are very grateful for it.

Please keep praying and send positive thoughts - He is a fighter for sure but even heroes need help, right? Cedric is mine for sure.

Your support is truly the best - Thanks

Michelle

suzanne2545
04-08-2009, 01:50 PM
Michelle,

I'm so glad the news is good. Slow but sure wins the race. Hugs!

Suzanne

kirafaesmom
04-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Thanks for updating...I was wondering how Cedric was doing. I'm glad he's continuing to improve. Hang in there.

JWorthington
04-08-2009, 03:13 PM
Glad Cedric is taking small steps towards improvement, we are still praying here:hug:

Julie x

debvec
04-08-2009, 03:32 PM
I am so glad Cedric is making progress. I will keep praying. As for the port, all I can offer is that my sister's little one has one and she has not had any problems. Good luck.

lynn
04-08-2009, 03:44 PM
Glad to hear he is improving although slowly. We are still thinking about him and sending good thoughts your way.

LittleBee
04-08-2009, 05:01 PM
I am so glad things are looking up, even if it is slow going. It is also good that Cedric is getting a break today to rest.

You might remember my posting before that Luke had a broviac for 9 months that was switched to a port 8 months ago. We actually had no infection issues with either, but did switch to the port because it had a lower infection risk. The port is completely covered by skin and (I think) the only time you would really risk infection is when the line is in use. It is really easy to use and we are very happy that Luke has it. Sometimes the nurses we have gotten don't have a lot of experience accessing ports. But it isn't that difficult. And once accessed it can be used just like a broviac. I had to learn to access Luke's line for the once a month flushes we do at home. So for Luke's last surgery the nurses let me access it at the hospital. I have always gotten it in one try. You put numbing cream on the skin about an hour before you access it, which seems to help Luke. If he is already asleep, he will stay asleep if the cream has been put on.

If Cedric isn't going to need an IV all the time, but his veins are really difficult, I think a port would be a much better option than a broviac. And with his history of infection, I would definitely think a port would be better. PM me if you think I might be able to help you with any other info or questions.

katie'smum
04-08-2009, 05:10 PM
Still praying and thinking of you all and things carry on improving. Take care.

Love,

Bea xx

Alethia
04-08-2009, 05:35 PM
Michelle, I am cautiously optimistic about this news and hope that he continues to improve. Cedric is one tough cookie, that's for sure. The port sounds like a much better option for him.

Kaylie
04-08-2009, 07:28 PM
thanks for updating Michele,
i am so relieved that things are starting to improve even if its slow at this point, i hope tomorrow brings a better day. Kaylie will be praying for Cedric tonight, just like she has been doing every night. we are all thinking about you guys and hoping for better days ahead. Now i truely know how Cedric got his name the little fighter. please let me know if i can help in any way.. we love you guys..

bradensmom
04-08-2009, 07:32 PM
I am so glad that Cedric is improving!! Continuing to pray for him. Just curious, have they figured out what germ he has in his blood???

Amy

Hope
04-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Good news! Still praying for continued improvements -
Hope

My little figther
04-09-2009, 10:19 AM
I am so glad that Cedric is improving!! Continuing to pray for him. Just curious, have they figured out what germ he has in his blood???

Amy

Vancomycin-Resistant Enterococci (VRE) - this is the bacteria that Cedric has in his blood

What causes a VRE infection?

VRE, like many bacteria, can be spread from one person to another through casual contact or through contaminated objects. Most often, VRE is spread from the hands of a health professional to a patient in a hospital or other health care setting. VRE is not usually spread through the air like the common cold or flu virus unless you have VRE pneumonia and are coughing, which is rare.

If you are healthy, your chances of getting VRE are very low. Even if you have been exposed to VRE, or have VRE in your body, you are not likely to get an infection. VRE infections generally only occur among people who have weakened immune systems, such as people with long-term illnesses or people who have had major surgery or other medical procedures and have been treated with multiple antibiotics.

Experts do not know exactly why some people become infected with VRE and others do not. But they do know that VRE infections are more likely to develop when antibiotics such as vancomycin are used often. Given enough time, bacteria can outsmart antibiotics so that these medicines no longer work well. This is why VRE and other antibiotic-resistant bacteria are sometimes called “super bugs.”

My little fighter does not do things half way, does he

He keeps doing better little by very little - he does not have any medication for his blood pressure. He is not on the vent either but just pressurazied oxygen for now and He is Pink not purplelish anymore.

Michelle

JWorthington
04-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Oh my Michelle, Cedric certainly DOESN'T do things by halves! I'm glad he is still fighting:hug:

Julie x