PDA

View Full Version : Jacob's Update

JacobKaden
04-07-2009, 11:43 PM
Jacob is slowly returning to himself! We saw some smiles for the first time in a week today - what a relief! His incision is not healing as well as they hoped, which is a bit worrisome. His surgeon left some of the stitches in, to give it more time to heal. I am worried about the area where he removed the stitches, as the wound was definitely not healed over on the surface. They are going to have the surgeon look at it in the morning.

We saw a very good neurologist today, who was actually quite helpful. He did confirm the CP diagnosis, based on Jacob's posturing. What he said is unique is that Jacob has a greater range of CP than most kids, from mild, where his muscle tone is quite good when nothing is distressing him, to severe and quite spastic when he is distressed. He said there is no way he can predict where Jacob will be longterm, but with that said, he was quite hopeful of what Jacob would accomplish. V. cool way of putting things and v. encouraging, I always prefer hope over fear.:cool:

I am so glad that it is nothing "new" and "scary" - I like Katie's comment about "just getting comfortable with CP" - a year ago I would have had a melt down - it reminds me of the other post about the "developmental survey":rofl: Now, CP is not "new and scary" - how did that happen?:hmmm:

Hope
04-08-2009, 12:06 AM
So glad to hear that Jacob is doing better! And yes, it's interesting how we come to have peace over these things.
Hope

kirafaesmom
04-08-2009, 12:34 AM
I'm sure you are relieved that Jacob's starting to feel better! I have learned (I HOPE) to never say never. Like....I could never handle a child with seizure disorder, I could never handle a feeding tube, and I CERTAINLY could NEVER do a trach......Amazing what we are capable of when push comes to shove. I've really tried to start looking at life with a special needs/medically fragile child as a journey. I can either relax and look at the scenery, or concentrate on every curve and get car sick. Most days that works.

My little figther
04-08-2009, 02:32 PM
I am so glad Jacob is doing better - CP well at first just the word can be a mountain and either you climb it or you get stuck on the botom crying your eyes out because you just can't get over it. I am glad you are climbing it. Our children are who they are the way they are and only the future will tell what they can and can't not do!!!
I hope that Jacob will continue to recover well and quickly.
Michelle

suzanne2545
04-08-2009, 02:52 PM
I'm sure you are relieved that Jacob's starting to feel better! I have learned (I HOPE) to never say never. Like....I could never handle a child with seizure disorder, I could never handle a feeding tube, and I CERTAINLY could NEVER do a trach......Amazing what we are capable of when push comes to shove. I've really tried to start looking at life with a special needs/medically fragile child as a journey. I can either relax and look at the scenery, or concentrate on every curve and get car sick. Most days that works.

Well put!

Kim - Sounds like you have a new team member in the neurologist. I'm delighted to hear that despite some more bumps that things continue in an upward trend. Jacob will be home before you know it.

Suzanne

JWorthington
04-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Hope the surgeon says the wound is healing ok. glad Jacob is doing better, it seems the more life throws at is the more we seem able to take. glad you found a good neuro.:)
Julie x

lynn
04-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Good to hear Jacob is improving-and smiling! Also glad you found a good neuro. Hope you can get home soon.

LittleBee
04-08-2009, 05:42 PM
I am glad Jacob is starting to feel better and be himself again. I hate that time after surgery when it's like you've lost your child and there is nothing you can do but be patient.

Luke hasn't had an LTP (yet?), but he did have a mastoidectomy that made a big incision all the way around the back of his ear. I got worried because the dissolving stitches popped in one section before it look like it healed. Turns out the under layers had healed, but the top layers hadn't yet. There was never any danger, it just made a V shaped scar instead of a straight line. So hopefully the under layers of Jacob's skin have healed and there won't be any problem.

We use Bio-Oil, a vitamin E blend with PurCellin oil (?), on all Luke's scars once a day and it has made a big difference in how they look. Over time the scars have faded and gotten smoother. The smaller ones have almost disappeared. You can get the oil at Walmart. It seems kind of pricey, but we got the smaller bottle (2 oz.) and have gone through less than half since last July.

drct1245
04-09-2009, 01:18 AM
Good to hear Kim... glad he is getting better. Have they done a CBC since surgery? Any reason why the wound wouldn't be healing? Just a thought.

take care!!

alizesmom
04-09-2009, 07:49 AM
It's good to hear that Jacob is progressing. Sounds like mom is growing wise. :hug: Karen

Kate
04-09-2009, 08:48 AM
Yeah!! I'm glad he is doing better and giving you some smiles!!
Thrilled that it is the CP and nothing new...your right it is odd how all of a sudden what you thought was the worse becomes what you are comfortable with. Living this life certainly is interesting isn't it?! :hug: :hug:
Glad he's doing well!!!