PDA

View Full Version : Strep

Nate's Ma
04-06-2009, 08:53 AM
We went to a birthday party on Saturday night. Nate had a blast. This family is our best friends. One of the kids tested positive for strep the next morning. I didn't panic and remained calm when my friend called me to tell me. My husband asked me a very valid question. Strep is passed through droplets from the infected person, that we inhale. Nate doesn't inhale through is nose and mouth for the most part, so if he inhaled the strep particles through is trach where does it go? Hmmmmm.... Nate had his nose on for most of the night, so I think we may be ok, unless the strep particles can pass through the filter.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Strep was one of the main offenders that set off the chain of events for Nate to be so sick and end up with the trach.

TommysDad
04-06-2009, 09:23 AM
Just keep an eye out for signs & symptoms, and call your doc if you see any of them. I'm not positive, but I'd think a trache culture would still show strep because it's a bacteria.

Not to hog your post, but Tommy was just around our friends who's daughter just came down with strep, and this girl gets it a few times a year. But what am I supposed to do, never take Tommy over there because this girl could have it but just not be symptomatic herself:confused: We'd never get to visit with this family then! Tommy's never gotten strep once, and even if he did, we do take him out into the community, so he could get it there, too. I just appreciate it so much when a family calls me to tell me their children are sick so I can be a little bit more aggressive when I talk to our doctors about a possible trache culture instead of letting things brew for another week and things start to do a downward spiral and FAST! (But I do understand your frustrations:o )

~Maggie

JWorthington
04-06-2009, 01:04 PM
Good that your friend called to tell you as soon as possible. Can you get a trach culture done? it may be worth it, just to rule it out. Hope Nate is ok:hug:

Julie x

Mom2TwinsPlus1
04-06-2009, 01:23 PM
Emma got strep from her cousin once.We were told that a hme filter or even a vent filter will not stop strep. The germs are much tiner than that holes in the filter.

Not much you can do at this point, since exposure has taken place. Just keep an eye out and at first sign of sickness got to the doctor.

Nate's Ma
04-06-2009, 03:00 PM
Thanks guys... Lori, you answered my question about the size of the strep bacteria. I am waiting for my ENT to call back so I could ask him about the HME. Nate's immune system is ok now.. 2 normal CBC in the last three months, so I'm more at ease.