PDA

View Full Version : What's Up With Kids Eating Crayons?!

Ainsley's Mom
04-04-2009, 11:39 PM
Can somebody please explain to me why a kid with dysphagia that will not eat any food will eat a crayon? :hairpull: Because all kids eat crayons I guess?!

Anyone ever had bits of crayon come back in the trach secretions? :hmmm: Lovely thought huh?! I'll be keeping my eyes open.

Shylent
04-05-2009, 12:41 AM
I guess the same reason that Sebastian who usually never puts things in his mouth ( aside from food & drinks ) decided he needed to nibble on some crayons the other day ....

Maybe there is some alluring ingredients in there that as we age into adulthood loses it's appeal. :D

JWorthington
04-05-2009, 06:04 AM
Sam has never eaten a crayon, but I found one in the washing machine this morning - after the washing had finished!!

LKN
04-05-2009, 09:16 AM
I have a crayon eater...prefers orange but has tried all the colors!:D

Gretchen(Celia's mom)
04-05-2009, 09:52 AM
:rofl:

cariaad
04-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Allison doesnt eat them, but Oscar loves them. And I have to tell ya, when a dog poos after eating a crayon, it looks bizarre! LOL

Hope
04-05-2009, 11:56 AM
Between Shelby eating crayons and Buttercup eating playdough ... it's just more trips to Wal-Mart...

Hope

Anderson'sMom
04-05-2009, 12:13 PM
That is perplexing.......Anderson just started where she will swallow food.....for 2 years now, we have been desensitizing her, trying her to eat, eat and eat......well, FINALLY she will allow herself to swallow. However, all the time, she would stick everything in her mouth....toys, leaves, you name it, she had to try it on her tongue!

My husband and oldest son went camping this weekend and in a matter of the first two hours alone with her and my other son, she decided to eat cat kibble AND a refrigerator magnet.....the kind of magnet in a sheet that is crumbly. I was wiping out her mouth for like 10 minutes~~~ GROSS!!!!!
Mind you, I normally am on top of her every move, but I am still recovering from spine surgery....she was and is WAY faster than me! LOL!

Alethia
04-05-2009, 03:07 PM
I think crayons have an allure because they are smooth like plastic. Angus loves eating playdough - homemade or bought. I think it's because it's very salty, and again, it's smooth in texture.

Angus still eats a lot of things with his hands - we just let him because we figure he's way more likely to want to put something in his mouth if he's tested it out with his hands. He can use a spoon and fork (after a fashion), but I think that kids who've been tube-fed for a long while need longer to go through the mouthing and handfeeding stage than regular kids in order to form the right brain pathways associated with pleasurable feeding.

Wooders80
04-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Dominic was tube fed for a long while too, and totally stopped eating. But, he'd put anything in his mouth but food (he had a particular love for his HME!). I saw it as a positive thing, as at least he was putting something in his mouth, I think when children are totally orally averse they can put nothing in there mouth - food or objects.

TommysMommy
04-06-2009, 01:55 AM
Tommy HATED crayons, LOL! His OT used to give them to him and have him draw lines on paper. He hated it so much that he would scowl and throw them across the room. I couldn't even get him to play with them when she wasn't there. Tossed them under the couch every time. He did have a facination with chewing his O2 tubing, neb tubing, blue tubing, you get the idea! :D

Anderson'sMom
04-06-2009, 10:10 AM

Ainsley's Mom
04-06-2009, 01:30 PM
Yeah, at one time I remember I said, "When you have a kid with feeding issues you'll let them eat anything." I guess she's testing me. I didn't literally mean anything. :rofl: I meant anything that is FOOD. She will put anything in her mouth that isn't food so that's nothing new. It's just the fact that she EATS them.....Well my other kids would eat the crayons too so I'm just going to be please about it and chalk it up to another normal kid thing to do like playing in the toilet. :rofl:

Rene I'm totally cracking up about Tommy. I can just imagine it. Funny guy.

Lizzykewlness
04-06-2009, 09:15 PM
Isaac loves to eat crayons right now! I was just mentioning that on facebook, that it doesn't digest....colorful

ooo I hate when crayons go through the dryer, melts over everything!

cbissell
04-07-2009, 06:16 AM
Can somebody please explain to me why a kid with dysphagia that will not eat any food will eat a crayon? :hairpull:

LOL, good question:p