PDA

View Full Version : Seizures

Vicki Rocha
04-03-2009, 05:17 PM
Hi everyone, my son has started having what i thought could be seizure activity recently. These episodes consist of staring down to his right shoulder and occasionally jerking of his arms. These episodes usually last and average of 3 minutes and happen twice a day. He seems to be still aware of his surroundings while its happening. So we took him to the Neuro for an opinion and luckily he had an episode in the drs office. The doc admitted us to Columbus Childrens for a EEG and 24 hour observation. Unfortunately i was right, they are seizures:( They started Isaac on Keppra. First we tried 1 ml twice a day for 5 days. That didnt work so we went to 1.5 ml twice a day..that didnt work either. We are now at 2 mls twice a day. They ordered us to try these doses for 5 days to see if they are making a difference. As of now, we see no real changes. He is still having the seizures. I called the Office and am now waiting for a call back. Im wondering if they can still go higher with this med or if we may need to try another. I dont know much at all about seizure medications and so i was just wondering what your experiences have been with Keppra and how high they can actually go with it?

kirafaesmom
04-03-2009, 05:23 PM
How much does Isaac weigh? Kira's on VERY high doses of Keppra. She weighs 48 pounds, but was on the same dose at 45 pounds. She takes 10 ml twice a day. Somewhere in my brain is the formula they use (so many mg/kilo of weight), but it's not coming to mind right now.

bradensmom
04-03-2009, 08:24 PM
Keppra, in combination with Dilantin and Phenobarbital, works great for Braden. It was the drug that made the most difference. He is on 7.5cc twice a day and he is 13yrs old.

Amy

Hope
04-03-2009, 10:25 PM
Shelby's on 3ml bid. They keep having to bump up the dosage as she gains weight as she has break through seizures. She's about 36 pounds now. Keppra makes her pretty "wired up". Our neuro also recommended 25 mg of vitamin B6 daily to help with irritability and sleeplessness. Maybe it helps *a little*.

I'm seriously looking into HBOT (hyperbaric oxygen treatment) for her.

I hate seizures, I'm sorry you're facing this with your little one.

Hope

Vicki Rocha
04-04-2009, 10:25 AM
Isaac is still small, only weighs 19 pounds. Thanks for your responses:)