PDA

View Full Version : What I have been up to!!!!

Anderson'sMom
04-01-2009, 05:11 PM
I have been off the boards for a while.....Towards the end of January, I had spinal fusion done on 19 of my vertabrae. I finally came back to work last week and finally realized I had not been on here in forever!

Has anyone else had any experiences with major spine fusion??? Just wanting to compare "stories" if anyone has! Feel free to PM me!

JWorthington
04-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Just wanted to say welcome back. Hope you are doing ok after your surgery, it must have been pretty tough:hug:

Julie x

Gretchen(Celia's mom)
04-01-2009, 10:18 PM
Oh wow that is brutal!!! Glad you are healed!!! Good to see you!!

cbissell
04-02-2009, 05:42 AM
Has anyone else had any experiences with major spine fusion??? Just wanting to compare "stories" if anyone has! Feel free to PM me!

That's the straightest looking post-surgery spine I've seen. Looks like they did a nice job. Did you have scoliosis or was the fusion done for some other reason?

Anderson'sMom
04-02-2009, 11:06 AM
I got diagnosed with kyphosis at age 14. They would not brace me and said I would out grow it. (basically, my arms and legs grew faster than my spine and compressed and mishapened my vertabrae) My parents refused to put me through the surgery.....so, now at age 35 I felt I had to fix it for the future of my spine health! Yes, it did get a bit better over the years and then with age, it got a bit worse! So, I took a look around my family, saw that an uncle & aunt, a cousin and my poor little grandmother all have curves to some degree (my grandma being the worse!) I realized it was more of a hereditary thing. So, went in on Jan 26th and had my first surgery EVER!!! Been through surgeries a million times with DH & kids......

I got a great result and all I really wanted was to make sure it would never get worse! My surgeon is such a rock star! He explained to me that once they got in, they found my vertabreae had started to fuse from arthritis and we did the right thing by fixing it now!

What is so hysterical is, I gained an inch and a half in height!!!!! Now, I really tower over my poor DH!!!!!

Recovery was hard and still is, but so worth every ounce of sheer horrific pain!