PDA

View Full Version : Finally home!

kadiera
04-01-2009, 09:10 AM
We brought Alexander home after 291 days in the hospital yesterday at around noon.

He's been amazingly good about the whole thing - especially after our extended stay over the weekend in an observation room, where he would not allow anyone to put him down without him screaming for all 8 hours we were there. He slept all the way home - probably the best sleep he's had in the two weeks on the home vent. He's spit up some, but he's also been smiling for nurses, most of whom he's met once.

We did get some sleep with the night staff here last night, but it was not great because he'd had a major episode right before we went to bed. The alarm on his pulse ox is set at 90. When I got to his room he was reading 83, and was already quite blue - and within a few seconds the pulse ox quit reading. As best we can tell, he was asleep, and pooping, and got so upset that he clamped down. I turned the O2 up, checked the equipment setup, and then checked his diaper (a known issue for him); he'd already started to calm down and breathe a little better, so I picked him up and rocked him, because I knew that while I could bag him, it'd be better to get him calmed down so he could fix himself. Within a minute, his sats were back up to 90.

Ah well. Back at work today; my husband is home with the nurse today and they have an appt with the pediatrician this afternoon. We're still waiting on a call from the pulmonologist at the trach/vent clinic to set up his appointment, but it's in progress.

It's nice to have him home, even if it is a bit stressful. :)

My little figther
04-01-2009, 09:14 AM
Congratulations. Home the best word in the world. You will adjust and get into a routine quickly I am sure.
Michelle

TommysMommy
04-01-2009, 09:19 AM
That's wonderful that you're finally home! It's an adjustment, but one that is so worth it! Congratulations!

JWorthington
04-01-2009, 09:35 AM
How wonderful to be home at last! I'm sure you'll soon settle into a routine that works for you:)

Julie

TommysDad
04-01-2009, 10:55 AM
I'm so glad you are all under one roof finally! Welcome HOME!!!

~Maggie

suzanne2545
04-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Welcome home! Things will even out before you know it.

lynn
04-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Congratulations on getting home! You will soon fall into a routine and discover how much easier life can be.

llwilliams8
04-01-2009, 08:26 PM
Congratulations And Welcome Home!!!

babybear
04-01-2009, 08:45 PM
Congrats! I hope you have a smooth transition.

kirafaesmom
04-01-2009, 09:05 PM
Whoohooo.....congrats on being home! I hope things smooth out soon.

Kaylie
04-01-2009, 09:24 PM
how wonderful that you are home finally, sorry that its been somewhat stressful, but there is nothing like being home with your little one. you will see him thrive.

Gretchen(Celia's mom)
04-01-2009, 10:02 PM
Congrats!!!!

Hope
04-01-2009, 11:13 PM
Welcome home - what a long journey to get there!
Hope

Ainsley's Mom
04-02-2009, 04:28 AM
That is a long time in the hospital! Do you even remember life before? Finally getting him home must be surreal. I'm sorry you started things out with an episode. But the great thing is that you handled it beautifully. If you can do that well on the first night, you can handle anything and are sure to have any easier adjustment because of it. I hope things go really well. Congrats!

alizesmom
04-02-2009, 01:21 PM
Fantastic news that you are home. Enjoy every minute. Karen

cherienz
04-04-2009, 08:08 AM
glad you are home after a long stay. Being home is such a good feeling after a long hospital stay - but also VERY different/tiring. Catch your sleep when you can. Not that we were counting but we did 2 years and 37 days in hospital before making it home - so I get the long term issues...
Best of luck
Cherie

JacobKaden
04-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Congrats on being home - enjoy!:hug: You will find this board a wonderful, supportive resource as you adjust to your "new normal".

kshell
04-04-2009, 01:48 PM
Yeah on getting home.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You will eventually get a routine down and thigs will seem relatively normal.

Karen