PDA

View Full Version : Is this a seizure?

DadOf24Weeker
03-31-2009, 03:22 PM
Is what I describe below indicative of a seizure?

Sahana will grit her teeth i.e. look like she's smiling, her eyes defocus and her hands come up above her shoulders. All this happens and passes within 2 seconds. After that, she'll go right back to whatever she was doing without missing a beat.

My wife and I haven't actually seen it happen but our nurses have seen this happen a few (about 5 times) since this past Friday night, most recently a couple hours ago.

One of our nurses, who has a special needs child with seizures, doesn't think these are seizures but merely a baby doing something she's learned anew. Another of our nurses, who's worked with several kids who get seizures, is convinced that these are seizures.

We're waiting to talk to our Pedi. and our Pulm. on this.

A couple of things that set us thinking were:
1. Last Fri, Sahana had an eye exam where she was shown "stripes" and fast moving images.
2. Over the last week, our Pulm. put her on a 5-day Prednisone burst because she'd been having increased secretions since Christmas and in prep for her DLB this past Monday. Since starting on the burst, she's been very "energetic" and has had hand tremors. When we reported this to him over the weekend, he asked us to skip a dose and almost halve the dosage on subsequent doses.

Any experiences people can share will help our nerves.

Thanks,
Harish

Caty
03-31-2009, 03:48 PM
I would definitely have Sahana checked out if you have any misgivings or concerns.

I have no experience with seizures but when Nate was 9 months old, he began having episodes where he would blank out for a couple of seconds and shudder as if he were cold. His neuro tested him (EEG in her office and a sleep study) and she said he was having benign shudders. No real cause or explanation and no cause for concern.

That said, you should have her checked out so you can know for sure. Hope your nerves aren't too frazzled.

My little figther
03-31-2009, 03:53 PM
It might be a focal seizure but I am not a doctor so don't take my word for it - here is a link that will give an explanation of what it is http://www.everydayhealth.com/health-information/partial-seizures-focal-seizures-what-is-it.aspx

I sure hope it is not but I am sure that you will have an answer by your doctor until then don't worry too much and just keep an eye on her as I am absolutely sure you do.

Michelle

DadOf24Weeker
03-31-2009, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the information.

Just after posting the original message, my wife was able to speak to the Pulm. His theory is that this is probably induced by stress Sahana's probably been under in the last few days - pre-bronch physical, prednisone burst, eye exam and bronch. He's advised us to hold her to soothe her whenever it happens (hard to do when it happens suddenly and lasts barely a few seconds) and watch her for a week. If it doesn't go away or worsens, then take her in for an EEG and other diagnostics.

Thanks,
Harish

llwilliams8
03-31-2009, 04:56 PM
Sometimes when my daughter desats she will get a blank stare and her hands go straight above her head. We have had EGG's done and there is no signs of seizures so not really sure why she does it but it only lasts a short time and when her O2 levels are back up she is fine.