PDA

View Full Version : For Karol, Lynn, and Stephanie

Alethia
03-30-2009, 09:20 PM
Hi Ladies,

I finally fathomed out how to use the software on the CD of Angus' chest CT scan. I've made two very short videos of his ribcage rotating in 3D so you can see where the ribs get pulled in (7 and 8 are the worst) by his diaphragm and how surgery will widen them at that part (the LTE is done from the 4th to the 9th rib).

Chest CT front view (http://ellisvancreveld.co.uk/evc/Videos/chestAPYaxis.avi)

Chest CT side view (http://ellisvancreveld.co.uk/evc/Videos/chesttransYaxis.avi)

They're in .avi format, so I hope they don't take too long to load.

Cheers,

Kate

lynn
03-30-2009, 11:19 PM
Thanks Kate- wow it is amazing to see in 3D- I have seen many xrays of Josephs rib cage, but it is a totally new perspective to actually see the chest/ribs from all sides. (I would love to compare with a CT of a "normal size" kids ribcage.)
We haven't ever had a CT of the chest, it is wild to see like that: sometimes the xrays are so hard to try to figure out what is being seen with all of the shadows from the organs.
---- BTW: I am currently trying to get a consult at Columbus. I have contacted for an appt. and am waiting to hear back. :waiting:

Alethia
03-31-2009, 03:05 AM
Hi Lynn, I did try to find a CT scan of a normal kid's chest, but without much success. There are some adult chest CTs on YouTube. I don't know if the docs will do another CT series after Angus has had surgery, but I hope so. I will ask them anyway, because I'd like to be able to show people the difference from my website. For rare conditions and solutions like this, it helps to have a resource out there.

I'm so glad you got in touch with Columbus CHildren's. How long have you been waiting to hear from them? I'll PM you Dr. Holtzlander's email addy. She's usually really good at getting in touch. She's their "hub" person now.

cbissell
03-31-2009, 03:52 AM
Kate, these are amazing images. Thanks for posting them!

Alethia
03-31-2009, 04:10 AM
Well, I didn't find a CTscan of a child's chest, but here is a front and side view of a 15 month old child (you need to scan down the page a bit):

Chest (https://homepage.usask.ca/~lre135/Double_Aortic_Arch.html)

You can see how much longer the ribs are and how much wider the chest is. The ribs come much further round the front if you look from the side view. It's quite a scary comparison!

TommysMommy
03-31-2009, 07:07 AM
Wow! That is a dramatic comparison!

My little figther
03-31-2009, 07:15 AM
Amazing images.Do you have a date for Angus surgery?
Michelle

Alethia
03-31-2009, 09:07 AM
No, no date yet Michelle. The problem is that Great Ormond Street it a tertiary care hospital - they only get referrals from consultants of the of the most unusual and wonderful cases they see, and often very acute and life-threatening. The major hold up is that the Intensive care docs are unwilling to give up a bed for long enough for Angus peri-surgery. I understand why it is difficult, but it doesn't make it any easier to be patient. :(

I fathomed out how to get a 3D image of the lungs BUT the software version they've given me has been handicapped so I can't edit out the black regions. You'll see what I mean if you check it out. I can only crop it in a box shape. I can't erase those other pesky structures! You can find the vids here:

Lungs etc (http://www.ellisvancreveld.co.uk/evc/video.htm)

Topher's Mom
04-05-2009, 03:28 PM
Thanks Kate. I just got back from vacation & saw this. Amazing images. Christopher has never had a CT scan for his rib cage but I bet it would have been similar before the LTE.

Sorry to hear there is no date for the surgery yet. I keep hoping it will be soon.

Thanks again for posting the images.

Karol

babysupermansmommy
04-06-2009, 10:43 AM
WOW those are amazing!
i will scan up some pictures of anthonys recents chest xrays...

not sure if you read my recent post, the new doctors we took anthony to see think he may have been misdiagnosed.....not to convinced myself, since he has been tested for what they think he has and it was negative