PDA

View Full Version : Bathing/showering with a trach

jbromley
09-01-2008, 11:21 AM
I have noticed that a few of you have mentioned that your child showers with a trach. In those posts it was noted that you are using a HME when doing this. I am very curious how this works and how you are able to keep water out of the trach. My daughter is 3 and we still put her in the tub and are very careful of the water. We do let her wear her pmv in the tub which is why we have to be especially careful, but she loves to talk and she wears it all day that we just leave it on in the tub. This limits the amount of splashing, but she would rather hear herself talking. Thanks.

Jennifer

JWorthington
09-01-2008, 01:21 PM
We used to bathe Sam, but he has always been a splasher and you need to keep the water shallow with a trached child. It was hurting my back bending over the tub to wash his hair so we got him a special shower chair. We strap him into the chair and shower him that way - makes hair washing easier too. we got the chair through OT if that's any help. He does still have the occasional bath so that he can play in the water, but when he needs to be properly cleaned we use the shower.

Julie x

saywhatyouwill
09-01-2008, 03:27 PM
this is kind of obvious i suppose and not what the Q is about, but we use one of those baby bath seats and it is absolutely brilliant. we have the water pretty deep and even with all the splashing we manage to keep the water (mostly) away from the tube. before the chair it was rubbish - we usually just got in the bath with her.

TommysDad
09-01-2008, 05:25 PM
We still use bathtub, but our speech therapists said she used to work with adult trach patients. She said they have a "sheild-like" piece of medical equipment works kind of like a shower cap. It sounds kind of like a face shield but for the trach:confused: I can see that it keeps the water from going in the trach tube, but what about all the water running into the stoma is what I'd still be concerned with:eek: I'll be interested in seeing what other's post.

What about a removable shower head/sprayer, especially if placed on one of those vertical bars that allows one to adjust the height of where the sprayer would be??? Don't they have those kinds in the hospital???

jschug2
09-01-2008, 08:42 PM
We bath Sydney in a shallow bath, but it's tough. It's hard to get all of the soap out of her hair without getting water in her trach - Sydney doesn't like it. Yes, when we were at the hospital, they had a shower cap, which was very nice. You just put it on their head, rub it around, and you don't need to rinse. You could probably just order a bunch with the rest of your medical supplies.

alizesmom
09-01-2008, 09:24 PM
The shower mask is from Trachoe and is one size fits all. It says on it not for bath or swimming. It fits loosely over the trach with a solid top and the bottom has breathing holes in it. It is made from a soft rubbery material. I'll try to get a picture on later. Karen

Trix
09-02-2008, 07:36 AM
We replaced our old laundry sink with a nice big deep ceramic basin ( In needed a new one anyway). I dont have to bend down and I fill it up to just under Isabelles boobs. She wears her PMV. I put a towel on the washing machine next to her for when I dry her - no bending down at all! My partner and i both wash her hair about every 5 days. He holds her head over the basin and I give it a wash. This system really works for us.

aline
09-02-2008, 12:46 PM
Thank you for posting this question and for all your comments!
It was a bit difficult when Sol first got trached and recently we decided to give up bathing Sol because it was way too much splashing and he kept wanting to swim on his tummy and that was not good!
So every evening we just give him a shower (ie I hold the shower head and shower him) and with a lot of care I wet his hair / shampoo his hair and rince it off as well as I can. The water sometimes runs along his neck but it does not seem to bother Sol (we always keep his suction machine close by just in case). The humidity also helps get rid of the crustiness around the stoma and we then can give it a wipe with dry gauze. Sol always wear his HME all the time.

Kate
09-02-2008, 02:16 PM
We give Mitchell both baths and showers. Maybe I'm not as careful as I should be but he loves them and hasn't had any issues. He has a very strong cough though. What we do if he goes in the shower is we have an HME on him and I also make sure he has a double 2x2 under his trach-this catches most of the water so that he only gets a small amount in there if any. He isn't in all that long and I typically have him shower in the shower that has a hand-held spout so I can control it. But-if we are away somewhere I will use a typical shower-I just don't like not being able to control where the stream goes. He also loves to put his face up so the water falls on it-I myself hate this of course because this is how he could get a lot of water in his trach-even with the HME. Once the 2x2 is really wet and he starts coughing some I make sure we get him out.

We also do the sprinkler with Mitchell. He has a great time and I feel as long as it is just sprinkles of water hitting his trach-he isn't getting doused with water. And-like I said-he does have a very good cough so he is able to cough up what gets in there.

jbromley
09-02-2008, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the responses. For those of you that use showers I am assuming you change the trach ties after every shower. I would like to try the shower, but I don't have a hand held shower head and I am just really nervous about the water getting into the stoma. My husband is the one that has always been the bath giver for Elizabeth. He gets in there with her due to it hurting his back leaning over, but she is 3 now so at some point we are going to have to find other options. The joys of trying to be creative with a trach.

Jennifer

saywhatyouwill
09-17-2008, 05:48 AM
http://www.kapitex.com/airway/showershield

i found this when i was searching internet for something else

looks quite good
?

twintotwin
09-17-2008, 10:17 AM
For a 3 y/o child a bath is just fine. We used the Leckey bath chair up until my boys were about 5. Though it's best to use the chair for safety purposes, we mostly go without it just for lack of room to store the chair near the tub. You can use a hand-held shower head if you really want the spray.