PDA

View Full Version : "crappy" Medicaid diapers...do I complain?

twintotwin
08-19-2008, 10:15 AM
The boys have been getting size 6 Luvs diapers through Medicaid for 3 years. The pharmacy we get them from has suddenly switched to a brand called "Cuties" (:confused: ) because they claim that Medicaid doesn't reimburse them enough to cover their cost for the Luvs.
We received the diapers yesterday and so far they're god awful. The boys have peed out the diapers within less than an hour, and there's this disgusting gelatin inside that creates a big lump and oozes out the side creating a total mess. They basically suck.
The pharmacy has always been painful to deal with. They said there's nothing they can do about it, and when I said we'll have to switch pharmacies they said "sorry".
I already have another pharmacy lined up from before this diaper brand-switching, but what if they give me the crap diapers too?

These diapers are useless and creating more work for me. The boys are 45 lbs, I can't keep changing their diapers and cleaning up a mess of urine-soaked gelatin every hour.

I need to complain, I know. Problem is Medicaid is a ghost entity. No phone numbers available for complaints, and no one really gives a sh:censored:it anyway.

We'll rely on these diapers for many years to come. I can't deal with this right now. Help!

Peyton's Parents
08-19-2008, 10:21 AM
Good luck with this one. I work for a Medicaid HMO in Utah and diapers are a big problem for exactly the reason you specify - reimbursement from Medicaid is less then the cost to the provider. Have you checked with your home health agency or DME supply company to see if they will provide them?

madelyn and rynns mom
08-19-2008, 10:22 AM
Have your doctor write a specific brand note saying that they are breaking out from the change. We get ours through our DME and Maddy gets the Huggies Pull-ups. They work great for her and have velcro on the side seems so they can be changed like a diaper. I'd send you some to try, but they are pink with Disney Princesses and might give them a complex!! :D

Love Kris:hug:

KJKK8437
08-19-2008, 10:39 AM
This sounds like more work than any of us have time for, but I think you should send this posting to the Luvs company. They need to know, for a variety of reasons. They need to know that they are beating someone in quality control (other moms boards favor pampers and huggies). They also need to know about the hardships that special needs families have with respect to diaper costs. Maybe, just maybe, they will open a hardship program or negotiate a specific cost arrangement with Medicaid providers.

Having said all this, I have no idea where you would get the time or the strength to do it.

faywrayy
08-19-2008, 10:59 AM
Karin's right, it wouldn't hurt to send an email. I contacted Carnation last month. I only wanted to comment about why vanilla instant breakfast wasn't available in a cannister. I mentioned I had a tube fed child and was using it to supplement her feeds. They called me and gave me a phone number which I could call for coupons every month. And they sent me full value coupons as well.

twintotwin
08-19-2008, 11:00 AM
Do they have to comply if the doc writes a particular brand? If so, I would have chosen Pampers years ago.

Karin- I do like Pampers and Huggies better...even the Costco brand is fine. I'm sure even the worst generic store brand is better. These "Cuties" are basically Saran wrap with a tissue inside.

Kris- I buy Maisie the boys Huggies pull-ups because Milo wears them to school. Maisie likes the trucks but Milo has a problem with princesses...
go figure :rolleyes: .

@Peytons Mom- Our DME doesn't do diapers, but I did find a new place right near our house. I have to go there today to fill out the paperwork. I dread finding out what brand we'll get.

What a complete waste of taxpayers $$$$$! If I had the time I'd write an editorial...but then again, who else really gives a :censored: ?

Kaylie
08-19-2008, 12:04 PM
Well that stinks forsure.. How and were are you getting the diapers from? i know someone who really needs them too, and i know that there medicaid will pay but they dont know were to get them from, its like a complete mystery here in Va..
I would do like the girls said have the Doc write a order for only specific ones and see what happens. i hope u get this fixed. WHo would u even call within the medicaid system..

Ann
08-19-2008, 12:33 PM
If I had the time I'd write an editorial...but then again, who else really gives a :censored: ?

You are correct. Unfortunately, most people outside of our world don't.

I was able to get "pull-ups" for Jack with a doctor's order (versus the crappy plastic diapers), but I can't get a specific brand - I have to take what they give me. Here in AZ, my choices for diaper providers are limited because not everyone will take Medicaid.

alizesmom
08-19-2008, 01:24 PM
We don't get choice of brands either. So far it's been Luvs which work okay. I do occasionally put male serenity pad in Alize's if we can't get to his diaper quickly (as on a long drive). I haven't decided if I like them or not. Karen

twintotwin
08-19-2008, 02:15 PM
WHo would u even call within the medicaid system..

Kathy- You just call around to pharmacies who also supply some medical equipment, or ask around 'who can I get diapers through Medicaid from?'. Call the place, ask them what documents they require. Likely it'll be just a script and Kaylie's ID card.

I wouldn't have known if I wasn't networking with other parents of special needs kids in my area. It's very helpful to do this! :)

Ann, pull-ups are a great idea. I will try for them if this new place gives us the crappy plastic diapers...no pun intended there, hehehe

Kaylie
08-19-2008, 02:47 PM
Kathy- You just call around to pharmacies who also supply some medical equipment, or ask around 'who can I get diapers through Medicaid from?'. Call the place, ask them what documents they require. Likely it'll be just a script and Kaylie's ID card.

I wouldn't have known if I wasn't networking with other parents of special needs kids in my area. It's very helpful to do this! :)

Ann, pull-ups are a great idea. I will try for them if this new place gives us the crappy plastic diapers...no pun intended there, hehehe

Watch out Kerrie, those cuties come in pull ups as well. thanks for your respond about asking around, i need to info for another family. thanks again.what u explained happen to a diaper is something that happens after a diaper has been on all day , so they must be real crappy for sure,

twintotwin
08-19-2008, 03:09 PM
Watch out Kerrie, those cuties come in pull ups as well.

OH NOOOOO!!!!!!!!! :eek: Thanks for the heads-up Kathy!

KJKK8437
08-19-2008, 03:15 PM
Karin- I do like Pampers and Huggies better...even the Costco brand is fine. I'm sure even the worst generic store brand is better. These "Cuties" are basically Saran wrap with a tissue inside.

What a complete waste of taxpayers $$$$$! If I had the time I'd write an editorial...but then again, who else really gives a :censored: ?

Who doesn't? I mean, they are more expensive for a reason. :p We don't have to tell the LUVS company that, though ... right?

I'm sorry for the frustration (and the mess!) Like you need any of this crap! (Pun intended.) :p

haltec
08-19-2008, 03:58 PM
Who doesn't? I mean, they are more expensive for a reason. :p We don't have to tell the LUVS company that, though ... right?

I'm pretty sure Luvs and Pampers are both made by P&G. :)

Alethia
08-19-2008, 04:36 PM
who else really gives a S:censored:t?

We do babes! :hug: You so don't need this at the moment (if ever). I hope that you get joy out of this new DME - it would be great if they provide nappies of the type you prefer. Bad nappies are almost worse than none, that's for sure - especially x2!!

Kandi
08-19-2008, 04:53 PM
We go through an incontinence supply company that only deals with only incontinence supplies. They ship our order every month automatically. When we first started they sent us what appeared to be family dollars brand of diapers and when I called and told them they were breaking Maximus out they started sending us huggies. You could look into a couple of companies like this or tell the pharmacy they are breaking the boys out in a rash.:rolleyes:

TommysMommy
08-19-2008, 04:59 PM
Here in SC, if you ask your doctor to write a prescription for name brand because your child breaks out from the cheapy diapers, the pharmacy/DME will send Pampers. Not sure if you can get your doctor to write an order, but its worth a shot.

Whitney
08-20-2008, 03:33 AM
K, just make sure that idiotic pharmacy doesn't directly call your docs office and get the order changed (our old DME did that to me and peeved me to no end). I dumped that company within a week.....

Kerry, try calling a company called Centrad Healthcare 800-478-5070 and inquire if they accept NJ Medicaid! This company is based out of Illinois, but they accept Colorado Medicaid and they send us Huggies diapers (size 6) and Huggies toddler pull ups. I started with a local craptastic company that sent el cheapo and soiled many clothes not to mention urine all over my couch, chair and carpet. I complained to my case manager and she gave me the Centrad contact info. We have been with them ever since (going on 2 years). Also, does Aetna pay for diapers? Our Aetna will cover diapers partially...

Good luck!

lac
08-20-2008, 04:20 PM
We are currently getting Huggies (the cars print :rolleyes: ) pull ups through a company here in MA? My pedi's script was for pull ups and I made a request for Huggies and some how (by the grace of god) got them....I did have to call around to different home care companies to see who supplied them.

We go through All Care Medical 508-865-4857. Maybe they can recommend someone in your area?

Ainsley's Mom
08-23-2008, 05:46 PM
Hi Kerry, it sounds like it was a pharmacy decision to go with a cheaper diaper. I would think you'd have better luck complaining to the manager of the pharmacy or store. Or switching to a pharmacy that will carry the Luv's and accept Medicaid. If you tell the pharmacy how much you hate them and that you're considering switching pharmacies that they'd consider bringing back the Luvs? Hope it works out and you get what you want.

Mom2TwinsPlus1
08-23-2008, 07:03 PM
This sounds like more work than any of us have time for, but I think you should send this posting to the Luvs company. They need to know, for a variety of reasons. They need to know that they are beating someone in quality control (other moms boards favor pampers and huggies). They also need to know about the hardships that special needs families have with respect to diaper costs. Maybe, just maybe, they will open a hardship program or negotiate a specific cost arrangement with Medicaid providers.

Having said all this, I have no idea where you would get the time or the strength to do it.

Luvs and Huggies both will not do a hardship type porgram. I have written them befrore and signed several petitions here locally for Mom's of special needs kids. They basically wrote back saying they already provide coupons and such and that is the best they can do

babysupermansmommy
08-23-2008, 07:17 PM
maybe try asking the pharmacy, and explaining to them they do not work!!! its worth a try! the pharmacy we use one month just decieded they werent going to send us anthonys chromolyn because the generic company was out so i called and complained, come to find out his ccs covered the brand name all along!!

just a ? at what age did they start getting you daipers? i am battling getting anthonys covered at the moment!!!