PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using the LTV 1150?

Jacob's Mom
02-29-2008, 02:48 PM
Our DME co brought one out today. The RT told me that you no longer have to compensate for the PEEP by adding it to the pressure support. The PEEP is internally set, rather than by the valve. However, I just noticed on the vent, that under the pressure support setting, it is labeled "CM H20 + PEEP". That tells me that I am supposed to add the two, just as I do on the 950?!

I am not going to put Jacob on the 1150 until I get a call back from his pulmonologist ok'ing the swtich, and I am going to ask him about this. I just wanted to get some "expert" opinion as well.

Ann
02-29-2008, 03:34 PM
Amanda, who is your DME? I haven't heard about nor seen the 1150, but it's about time they got an internal PEEP. I'll be curious to hear what Jacob's pulmonologist says and .... how can the DME even switch out the vent without a script from a physician?

Jacob's Mom
02-29-2008, 03:54 PM
We use Pediatric Health Choice, a FL-based co. I hesitated to accept the 1150, but it has taken me all week to get a replacement for our back-up that was on the fritz. (Long story!!) I was aggrevated and just decided to keep it for now. I have a feeling Jacob's pulmonologist will not be happy.....

Melisande
03-01-2008, 11:02 PM
We ran into something similar with the Newport....they don't have a backup in the area...so if ours went out, we're screwed. They took our backup vent away a while back....that makes A LOT of sense! It's crazy to try to get the vent stuff our kids need!

babysupermansmommy
03-02-2008, 05:34 PM
we have the ht50, and our supply company has never gave me a different vent when something has happened! I would think that is the doctors call!

Alex's mom
03-03-2008, 01:01 PM
I'm curious - if the LTV1150 sets the peep internally, then do you need a different circuit? We have the 950 like you and the circuit has a peep valve.

Jacob's Mom
03-03-2008, 01:54 PM
I'm curious - if the LTV1150 sets the peep internally, then do you need a different circuit? We have the 950 like you and the circuit has a peep valve.

Yes, a different circuit is required. And they brought us those twisty, blue kind that I can't keep un-kinked! I suppose I could switch out the inhalation line for the kind I prefer.

Jacob's pulmo is out of town, so I'm just going to wait until he returns in a few days to give it a try.

TommysDad
03-17-2008, 11:50 AM
Although the PEEP is set internally, there is still a PEEP valve external to the unit (at least on it's hospital equivelant, the 1200). We were hoping to get an 1150, but when we say the required tubing, we are thinking "No Thanks". Has anyone gotten an 1150 with circuits that do not have two full length hoses running all the way back to the vent.

Jacob's Mom
03-17-2008, 01:20 PM
Although the PEEP is set internally, there is still a PEEP valve external to the unit (at least on it's hospital equivelant, the 1200). We were hoping to get an 1150, but when we say the required tubing, we are thinking "No Thanks". Has anyone gotten an 1150 with circuits that do not have two full length hoses running all the way back to the vent.

I'm not quite sure what kind of circuit you're talking about. The only difference in the circuit we got for the 1150 and the circuit we use for the 950 is the PEEP valve. Yes, there is a PEEP valve on the circuit for the 1150, it just isn't adjustable.

TommysDad
03-17-2008, 01:46 PM
The 950 circuits that we modify according to Children's Memorial's suggestions have the PEEP valve connected directly to the Y with a connector instead of the short white hose, and the pressure line of the PEEP valve run back to the ventilator. In the hospital at Cincinnati, they want us to use the circuits out of the bag, which has about a two feet of white tubing between the Y and the PEEP valve. The 1150 circuit that they had him hooked up to had a white tubing almost as long as the blue tubing, connected to the PEEP valve and then a short pressure line to the vent. The 1150 was too much weight for Tommy to drag around and too much hose for him to tangle up.

Jacob's Mom
03-17-2008, 02:47 PM
Gotcha! You *should* be able to modify the 1150 circuits the same way. Or, at least I would think so.

mnpedsrt
03-27-2008, 11:46 AM
You can modify the circuits tha same way. Since the 1150 has internal PEEP the valve on the end of the circuit is now just an expiritory valve.

The difference between the 950 and the 1150 for PS and PC is:

PS

950: need to add PEEP, so if PEEP is 5 and the MD wants a PS of 10 then you would set it to 15. So the Peak pressure would be 15

15 + 5 = 15

1150: You just dial in the 10 that the MD wants. So the dial will say 10, the PEEP will be 5 and the peak pressure will be 15.

10 + 5 = 15

PC

950: when you set a PC of 20 you get 20. So PEEP would be set at 5 and PC at 20 and peak pressure would be 20.

20 + 5 = 20

1150: You need to add PEEP. So to get 20 you would add the 5 of PEEP and then 15 of PC to get a peak of 20.

15 + 5 = 20

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Why they did the 2 vents different is anybodys guess but hope this helps some of you fiqure out the 2 vents if you make a change among them.

TommysDad
03-27-2008, 12:42 PM
Does anyone have any brochures showing the available circuits for the 1150? When they showed us how to modify the circuit, the emphasized the volume of the circuit that we put between the heater chamber and the ventilator. We are using a larger hose there, but am not sure how critical the volume is. If it is that critical, I would think that it would be a huge difference on the 1150. Also, what is the longest run of heated or unheated tubing you can get? I see 12 feet on the 950 peep valves, but nothing for heated or unheated circuits over 6 feet. What am I missing? Tommy is starting to walk, we need more rope!!!

mnpedsrt
04-01-2008, 03:56 PM
What kind of settings is he on? Volume or pressure? And there are 8 foot curcuits out there that are heated on the inspiratory side, it just depends on the type of heater you use.

TommysDad
04-02-2008, 09:14 AM
He is on SIMV with a PEEP of 12. I have to look at the other settings. He is using the older Fischer-Paykel heater that allows you to adjust the relative humidity in addition to the tempurature.

Caty
04-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Hi- I'm new here and haven't posted but my son Nate is set to go home on an 1150 in a couple of weeks. Does it weigh more than the 950? The RT who works the home vent program at our hospital is SOOO excited we're getting the 1150, and we're novices, so I was taking her at her word that it's "so much better." And she said the only difference in tubing is the "PEEP" valve is actually just an "exhalation" valve-nothing about the actual tubing being different (?).

And about back-up vents: the RT seemed a little put out I was asking for a back-up to have at home but our DME rep seemed willing to work with us if insurance will help out with it. Can anyone give me insight to how this could work (understanding that every insurance is different)? Our DME is located 1.5 hours away from our house and while they have an RT in our town with a back-up to deliver right away, there's also a girl close by they supply with the same vent. I don't like that there could be an issue with us both needing a back up at the same time. The home vent program RT said that would NEVER happen but my son was also NEVER going to need a trach. :p

Thanks so much (and apologies for hijacking the post)
Caty [and Nate, 1 year old on 3/31, trached on 2/14 due to resp failure secondary to hypotonia, going home 4/14]

Jacob's Mom
04-02-2008, 07:57 PM
The home vent program RT said that would NEVER happen but my son was also NEVER going to need a trach. :p

First of all, welcome. If you have to be in this "club," this board is a great place to be. Second of all, there is NO WAY anyone can guarantee that two vents won't go down at the same time. I would fight to have a back-up vent, especially with the DME being so far away. Anything can happen!! Vents break down and it certainly isn't worth the risk to your son's life. And, I would be sure to have it before you take him home.

BTW, the 950 and the 1150 weigh the same.

Alex's mom
04-02-2008, 10:17 PM
And about back-up vents: the RT seemed a little put out I was asking for a back-up to have at home but our DME rep seemed willing to work with us if insurance will help out with it. Can anyone give me insight to how this could work (understanding that every insurance is different)? Our DME is located 1.5 hours away from our house and while they have an RT in our town with a back-up to deliver right away, there's also a girl close by they supply with the same vent. I don't like that there could be an issue with us both needing a back up at the same time. The home vent program RT said that would NEVER happen but my son was also NEVER going to need a trach. :p

We have two of the 950's. One is on a stand w/heater attached and the other we keep in a carry case which we use to go out with and to also use as a backup in case the other malfunctions.

We've needed the backup a few times. We once had a vent malfunction in the middle of the night.... it literally started going haywire - alarming continuously, winding up and winding down and not giving breaths - it wouldn't allow me to shut it off... I had to unplug it. I put the backup vent on the stand for night and our dme supplied us with a new vent the next day.

Ann
04-02-2008, 11:13 PM
We've needed the backup a few times. We once had a vent malfunction in the middle of the night.... it literally started going haywire - alarming continuously, winding up and winding down and not giving breaths - it wouldn't allow me to shut it off...

Ditto and it was Christmas Eve when the same thing happened to us. However, I didn't give the DME company the option of waiting until the next day to bring a new back-up. The RT showed up at 11:30pm Christmas Eve with the new vent and he was not happy about it. Needless to say, I could have cared less how happy he was about it, I want two vents in my house at all times because they do malfunction.

Welcome to the boards!

mnpedsrt
04-09-2008, 07:41 AM
We send home 2 vents on ALL of our vented kids. Demand it from your DME.

Ann
04-09-2008, 09:49 AM
We send home 2 vents on ALL of our vented kids. Demand it from your DME.

Here in Arizona, if I was strictly Medicaid and didn't have private insurance I wouldn't get a back-up vent no matter how much I demanded it. I've been told that Medicaid considers a back-up vent a convenience item. They take the position that if your vent goes out, just bag your kid and get him to the hospital until another vent can be brought to you.

You can imagine what I think of that :boxing:

Christamae
04-11-2008, 06:41 PM
I must have some good advocate doctors. My back-up vent was taken away and we fought to get it back. I kept a log of when I was on and off the vent. My pulmonologist took that and fought. It was fine on CCS but when I was too old and went to straight Medi-cal it was a problem. The official rule is that you have to use the vent for 16+ hours a day. I use the Newport HT-50 (excellent!). One stays fastened to my chair on the vent tray my parents made and the other is bedside. Our DME is about 3 hours away.